ONTAP Discussions

snapmirror resync??

peter1965

Hi all - I am in the process of moving data around on our v6210 filer. I snapmirror data from aggr2 to aggr1 as I need to make some changes but wanted to retain the data.

That data i moved via snap mirror was a snapmirror of data from a remote filer.

now I wanted to re-establish that remote site with snapmirror with the data I snapmirrored in the new aggr - i thought a 'resync' woudl take care of this but only options was to intialize. If I were to click initialize will it write over what I have?

the only difference is that the remotes site destination snapmirror on the v6210 is on a diff aggr with a new name.

anyhow I hope I didnt confuse what I am trying to describe.

I clicked inittialize and thought if it would see the data then it woul dbe ok but shows xferring..

see attached pic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

peter1965

This user seems to want to do essentially the same thing as I do:

http://communities.netapp.com/thread/4529

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

scottgelb

Source and destination need a common snapshot or init is needed. If snap list Has a copn snap you can resync.

peter1965

Sorry Scott but ya confused me there.

So for now am I hosed?

scottgelb

darn autocorrect   If you type "snap list" on the source and destination volumes, if you have a common snapshot then you should be able to resync.  If no common snapshot then you have to iniitialize from scratch.

peter1965

So it appears the names need to be the same…? Argh if that’s true… wow what a waste.

scottgelb

In some cases (rarely) snap names may be different but the same snapshot (same time stamp) so you can rename them to match… but that is risky unless you can guarantee they are the same exact snapshot otherwise snapmirror can’t resync… resync requires a snap restore on the destination to match a common source snap then it rolls forward from that snap.

peter1965

Ok so for now. My best bet is to stop the “initialize” and try the restore so I can “resync” however the names are different between source and dest.

scottgelb

With init already running you need to let it finish…the target volume will be in a restart checkpoint and no usable data in it.

peter1965

Thanks – I have two of them but only decided to start one of them. I will take a few weeks to finish.. as I am “initializing” from the remote site to dest filer.. ☹

But the original snapshot info is still on the other aggr… (which is local to the dest filer)

I was trying to cheat and snap mirror THE snap mirror from one aggr to the other then I thought I can resync the source with the new destination which has a diff name.. ☹

peter1965

This user seems to want to do essentially the same thing as I do:

http://communities.netapp.com/thread/4529

Public