ONTAP Discussions

snapshot restoration from one volume to another volume

HEMANTKAROLE

I need to restore snapshot ffrom one volume to another volume

Please tell me the steps

11 REPLIES 11

aborzenkov

Use ndmpcopy to copy data from snapshot to another volume. You can also use “vol copy”, it will additionally transfer all snapshots earlier than selected.

HEMANTKAROLE

Thanks for respose !!

Is it possbile that we can restore the particular data or file from snapshot volume.to another volume

aborzenkov

Not using “snap restore”. You can either ndmpcopy it on NetApp or just access snapshot using CIFS/NFS (whatever is available) and copy file using client.

HEMANTKAROLE

We have a aggregate snapshot .My requirment is follows:

I want to restore one volume form this snapshot to another volume within the same aggregate.

aborzenkov

There is no documented way to do it; you really have to open case with NetApp and ask if it possible.

HEMANTKAROLE

OK ,  Any alternative solution on this issue.

paulstringfellow

Did you get an answer to this…

The only thing I can think as an alternative, Is to clone the snapshot you want and then either work with the clone or then split it so it becomes its own standalone volume.

It seems an odd request though.. why are you trying to do it?

pavila

You can't restore a single volume from an aggregate snapshot. You have to restore the entire aggregate. This is why aggregate snapshots are disabled in ONTAP 8.1, I personally don't know anyone that has ever restored an aggregate. Some companies I have worked with deleted the snapshots and disabed this feature to recover the storage.

scottgelb

It would be really nice to have snaprestore -t file at the aggr level to restore a volume since a Flexvol to an aggr is like a file to a Flexvol. Not exactly but same hierarchy. Exactly right no way to restore one Flexvol. We did have a case where we had to aggr copy -s a specific aggr snap to a new aggr to get one volume back for a customer then mirror that Flexvol back...a full copy out but brute force. No easy way to do this.

GARYWADAPT

Are aggregate level snapshots required for syncmirror?

If not and it's not possible to restore a volume from an aggregate snapshot I think I'm going to disable it here as it's chewing up a lot of disk space.

scottgelb

For syncmirror yes. No volume restore from an aggr snap...unless you snaprestore the entire aggr with all flexvols in that snap

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Public