ONTAP Discussions

snapvault snapshots older than base snapshot

athreyavc

Hi All,

I have a nearstore box, which is a snapvault destination.

On which one of volumes is full.

snap status -l

Current Transfer Type:  Retry

Current Transfer Error: replication destination write failed: No space left on device

When I check on the destination volume, i see lot of snapshots which much older than the base snapshot still  there and eating some space.

Can they be deleted?

Regards,

Athreya VC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

Hi,

When I check on the destination volume, i see lot of snapshots which much older than the base snapshot still  there and eating some space.

That's normal - base snapshot is your latest SnapVault update, so normally is pretty new, whilst all other snaps are your point in time copies, i.e. actual backups.

Can they be deleted?

Yes, providing you are happy with the fact these particular backups will no longer be available.

Regards,
Radek

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

radek_kubka

Hi,

That's normal - base snapshot is your latest SnapVault update, so normally is pretty new, whilst all other snaps are your point in time copies, i.e. actual backups.

Can they be deleted?

Yes, providing you are happy with the fact these particular backups will no longer be available.

Regards,
Radek

ekashpureff

Athreya -

Any snapshots older than the last common snapshot for any given qtrees on the destination may be deleted without breaking the snapvault relationship...

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff
NetAppU Instructor and Independent Consultant
(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

Public