ONTAP Discussions

snapvault transfer failure

GUVNIJJAR

We have a snap vault transfer which has failed in the last 2 days, as its lag is now 2 days.   If i look at the snapmirror logs, i see error message relating to this snapvault transfer  :

Wed Mar 21 12:43:38 PDT filerA:/vol/log22_28/qlog22_28 filerB:/vol/xvs02_sv/qlog22_28 Request (Update)

dst Wed Mar 21 12:43:39 PDT filerA:/vol/log22_28/qlog22_28 filerB:/vol/xvs02_sv/qlog22_28 Abort (destination requested snapshot that does not exist on the source)

It does an retry but still fails.   Yesterdays snapvault worked fine.

I did a snapvault status -s command on the destination, and i can see a snapshot for the volume, but when i do it for on the source system, i cannot see a snapshot for the source volume.

ANy advise on this issue.

10 REPLIES 10

sudheerns76

I am out of the office until 25/03/2012.

I am not available from 23rd to 25th March due to Public Holiday in

Bangalore and I will be out of station . Please reach out to Steve

Lee/India/IBM, for any Solution queries in my absence. For any management

queries please reach out to Sundar Subramanian1/India/IBM.

For emergency I can be reachable on Mobile Numbers - 9900111441 /

I Apologies for any Inconvenience and Thanks in Advance for your

co-operation.

Note: This is an automated response to your message "[Products &

Solutions] - snapvault transfer failure" sent on 23/3/12 16:09:09.

This is the only notification you will receive while this person is away.

andrewstead

Did you resolve this issue? I have the same problem.

Darkstar

Sounds as if snapshot autodelete threw away your baseline snapshot. You should always disable snapshot autodelete on the source volumes forQSM/SnapVault.

I'm afraid there's nothing you can do if the snapshot is indeed lost on the source side. Your only option is to re-start the SnapVault from scratch

do "snap list <volname>" on the source and destination, and try to find a snapshot with the exact same name on both sides.

-Michael

DANTAYLOR80

Hi, is it possible you could provide an example command on what would be required to marry the snapvault back up again?  you mention finding a common snapshot between them just wondered how this would form the command once you have this information?

RANJBASSI

Hi 

I am also seeing this error. "Destination requested snapshot that does not exist on the source"

I am seeing snaps being created both on the source and destination as per my schedules however I am still seeing the error

3 questions I have.

• Does the Schedule name have to be named the same on both source and destination. I have it called SV_Hourly on the source but have given it a different schedule name on the other filer.
  • I have a snapmirror schedule running on this same volume once a week. Could that be causing the snapshot on source to be lost?
  • I havent set a tick on the Preserve old snapshot copies when I created a schedule on the source. Does this need to be ticked?

Any advice on this I would appreciate as its doing my nut in!

Thanks

till_echterhof

quick howto setup schedule with snapvault

source:

snap sched "sourcevol" 0 0 0 <- normaly schedule deactivated

snapvault snap sched "sourcevol" SV_daily 5@22 <- sv schedule same snapshot name on destination required if the snapshot should be transfered

destination:

vol options "destinationvol" nosnap on

snapvault snap sched -x "destinationvol" SV_daily 31@22 <- "-x" option trigger a transfer from source snapshot

snapvault snap sched "destinationvol" SV_weekly 4@so@22 <- creates a snapshot on destination vol without transfering new data from source

RANJBASSI

Many thanks for clarifying that bit of information.

So it looks like as I want to transfer the snapshot I need to ensure the names are kept the same on both source and destination.

One additional question I have is when I delete the schedule from the destination I noticed when I go to the share path

\\filer\volume\~snapshot

There are still old snapshots located there. How do I remove all of these so I start with a clean slate and I only see my new schedule/s.

thank you

till_echterhof

thats just a normal snapshot deleting operation

you can use the oncommand system manager or on cli

snap delete -a "volname" <- delete all containing snapshots

RANJBASSI

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated. I started off a new SV job with a schedule. Will post back after it has run a few times...

RANJBASSI

Thank you that worked a treat! 

I am now on the next stage which is restores of these snapvaults. I created a seperate thread for this so appreciate any advice you can give me. 

Thanks

Public