ONTAP Discussions

snapvault update creates new volume

opwnetapp

So I have a weird problem.

I have a couple volumes that lost their snapvault snapshot (I blame DFM) but regardless I need to re-establish a baseline and get backups working again.

I have taken DFM out of the picture and deleted any acs or snapvault snapshots in the original volumes.

I will start a snapvault transfer with

snapvault start -S filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree  /vol/SMVI_TrimSQL/qtree

if I look at the status I will see

filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree         filervault:/vol/SMVI_TrimSQL/qtree      Uninitialized-   Transferring  (89 MB done)
filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree  filervault:/vol/SMVIxTrimSQL_backup_filer04_vmdsTrimSQL/qtree Uninitialized        Transferring

It looks like it is working, but creates a second volume called SMVIxTrimSQL_backup_filer04_vmdsTrimSQL Where does it even get this name? I was thinking DFM but these volumes have been removed from every dataset and I'm performing this directly from the command line!

If after the transfer is complete, I place this new volume offline and run an update with:

snapvault update /vol/SMVI_TrimSQL/qtree

If I look at the status I will see

filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree         filervault:/vol/SMVI_TrimSQL/qtree      Snapvaulted00:52:51   Idle
filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree    
filervault:/vol/SMVIxTrimSQL_backup_filer04_vmdsTrimSQL/qtree Unknown    00:52:51   Idle
filer04:/vol/vmdsTrimSQL/qtree    
filervault:/vol/SMVIxTrimSQL_backup_filer04_vmdsTrimSQL_1/qtree Uninitialized  - 
Transferring  (9760 MB done)

It seems intent on creating a second volume with that name template!

Any idea why?

Thanks

Bob

0 REPLIES 0
Public