ONTAP Discussions

unable to connect to source filer

TDUBB1234

I am trying to setup a snapmiror between 2 volumes, but keep getting unable to connect to the source filer whn initializing.

any idea?

18 REPLIES 18

SeanLuce

Command line or GUI?

TDUBB1234

gui. also i have an old snapmirror relationship on the source filer and i cannot delete it

ivisinfo

regarding the old snapmirror relationship, you can locate the snapmirror snapshots and delete them manually. Allow for a minute to show up with 'snapmirror status'.

ivisinfo

check the (source) filer logs.

have you entered the filer's name in the snapmirror permissions?

mike_burris

Agreed... Check the snapmirror logs and see if there's anything in there and check that the systems are permitted to talk to each other.  You say you have an old/existing SnapMirror relationship - was it between these two systems or different ones?  I'd also be curious about the network configuration in the environment (ie, any firewalls between the two systems)..

TDUBB1234

where ae the snapmirror logs? the old relationship is between the same systems but the volumes have been destroyed. Thee is no firewall between the 2 networks and both filers are pingable from each other

martin_fisher

Can you ping the IP address of the source filer ok? If you have other snapmirrors running from this same filer, then its not an issue with networking or routing. snapmirror.conf configured wrong perhaps.? Check the entry

What errors messages are out putted to the syslog/console when the intialization fails? look in the /etc/messages file.

AGUMADAVALLI

do a telnet to destination: telnet <destination> <port number>

• TCP 10566 (Source System binds on this port)
  • TCP 10569 (Source system listens on this port)
  • TCP 10565 (If using multipath, this is what the destination System listens on)
  • TCP 10565, 10567, 10568 (Destination System listens on these ports)

traceroute to the destination from source and vice-versa

can you please sent the command you are using to create the relationship and initiate.

thank you,
AKG

TDUBB1234

yes all ports are listenig on source and dest.

i use oncommand gui for snapmiror.

AGUMADAVALLI

OK! are you doing vsm or qsm or volume to qtree. According to case you have use the "-"on the destination path.

thank you,

AK G

TDUBB1234

i am doing volume to volume snapmirror. no qtree. there is lun in the volume. I am dong vmware rdm

AGUMADAVALLI

follow these steps, you should be golden to build the relationship and initiate.

source-filer> options snapmirror.enable  

source-filer> options snapmirror.access  (it should be legacy)

source-filer> rdfile /etc/snapmirror.allow  

Restrict the destination volume and volume size must be equal or greater than the size of source.

destination-filer> snapmirror initialize -S source-filer:/vol/demo_source destination-filer:/vol/demo_destination  

destination-filer> snapmirror status  

Thank you,

aK G

TDUBB1234

why legacy?

I have options snapmirror enabled

but options snapmirror.access is set to destination host

options snapmirror.access destination_host

rdfile /etc/snapmirror.allow on source system shows

source system ip

and hostname

AGUMADAVALLI

I think you need to read the below document, before you proceed further.

http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3446.pdf

Thank you

AK G

TDUBB1234

i wsa able to solve this by c;learing out the snapmirror.conf file which had the old stale snapmiror relationship in there.

wrfile /etc/snapmirror.conf

thanks

TDUBB1234

another thing, in oncommand, hen i add he desination drive, looks like it has to be in restricted mode. but in restricted mode, I cannot even see that drive in windows. and I cannot setup a mscs failover cluster.

AGUMADAVALLI

restricted does not allow you that.

thank you,

AK G

TDUBB1234

but when i have that volumme added on destination node and the afterwards set the volume to be restricted, the dive is not accessible and the entire node freezes

Public