Community

Subscribe
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

vfiler Migration fails: maximum of 4 volumes for Automated Online Migration

Am I forced to do an offline migration for this 7 volume vfiler?

thanks

=== SEVERITY ===

Error:    Attention: Failed to select a resource.

=== ACTION ===

Select a destination resource for migrating

=== REASON ===

Storage system : 'irt-na03.'(119):

- Destination storage system 'irt-na03.'(119) can contain maximum of 4 volumes for Automated Online Migration. But the migrating vFiler unit 'str-vf-02'(1838) has 7 migrating volumes for Automated Online Migration

- Volumes by same name as 'strdata', 'strweb2' already exist on the storage system 'irt-na03.'(119).

=== SUGGESTION ===

Suggestions related to storage system 'irt-na03.'(119):

- Choose/Add a storage system, which can contain minimum of 7 volumes per vFiler unit.

- Destroy the volumes on the storage system and refresh host information either by executing 'dfm host discover' CLI or navigate to 'Hosts > Storage Systems' page in Management Console and press 'Refresh' button.

What is the hardware model of irt-na03 ?

Is it a FAS 20X0 or FAS 3050 ? then yes, only maximum 4 volumes are supported for vfiler migration including the root volume of the vfiler.

Refer Section 7.2 Table six of TR 3814.

http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3814.pdf

Regards

adai

Hello fletch,

There are Storage System hard limits based on models for the number of volumes that can be supported for Online migrations. E.g. If you have a FAS2050 then it can only support 4 a vfiler with only 4 volumes for online migration. A higher model like a FAS3170 has limit as 8 volumes, FAS6070 has 20 volume limit. I'm sure this must be documented in the User Manuals for Provisioning Manager. Isn't it?

The restriction is set as per what is the destination filer model. Suppose if your source filer(f1) is a FAS3170 ( 8 volumes supported) and you choose a destination(f2) which is a FAS2050 ( supports only 4 volumes) then you can have at max only 4 volumes in your vfiler ( which includes the root of the vfiler as well) for Online migration.

warm regards,

Abhishek

the destination is a 3270 (we are using a testpoint supplied by netapp support to bypass the model check).

Apparently it is defaulting to a low max volume value for migrations!

How can I persuade NMC & DFM to use the correct higher value for the 3270 destination?

This is the last vfiler I need to migrate - so any help is much appreciated

thanks

Hi Flecth,

I think, you got the root cause.Raise a case with NGS, to get around this issue.

This is becasue of the bypass model check testpoint.

Regards

adai

Hi Fletch,

Is this also true ?

>   - Volumes by same name as 'strdata', 'strweb2' already exist on the storage system 'irt-na03.'(119).

In which case you may have to address this too to successfully complete the migration.

Regards

adai

Ok, I've re-engaged with support to update the testpoint to workaround the max volume issue

yes, we can resolve the volume name conflicts separately on our own

thanks

Are there updated flexvol limits for the new platforms out now?  I.e. the 3240, 3270, 6210??  Did the limit increase or are we still stuck at 4, 8, 20?

Thanks

Re: vfiler Migration fails: maximum of 4 volumes for Automated Online Migration

20 for 6200, 8 for other platforms. No increase. But less limits on 8.1. Bigger to smaller controller and sas to sata is allowed for example.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Re: vfiler Migration fails: maximum of 4 volumes for Automated Online Migration

The limit is 4 for the 2xxx platforms…8 is only for the 3xxx platforms. What type of systems are involved in this setup?

Mike