ONTAP Discussions

volume migration from one resource pool to another

sswain123

Hi Guys,

I'm attempting to migrate 3 volumes from one resource pool to another, my goal is to free space on the source aggr.

source pool = resource_pool_01

destination pool = resource_pool_02

volumes = dataset_006_backup, dataset_006_backup_4, dataset_006_backup_8

Yesterday I started the migration process using NMC-->hosts-->manage space. The VSM's were created and replications started.   This morning, I checked the job status, figuring this would have been completed,  I saw a job failure for dataset_006_backup_4... (details below)

Filer1: Failed to create SnapMirror relationship between FIler1:/dataset_006_backup_4 and Filer2:/dataset_006_backup_4.

Reason: Unable to update the SnapMirror relationship between 'Filer1:/dataset_006_backup_4'(33610) and 'Filer2:/dataset_006_backup_4'(55299).

Reason: Snapmirror error: transfer from source not possible; snapmirror may be misconfigured, the source volume may be busy or unavailable

The other 2 volumes are still in a SM state and lagging about 20hours...  I'm not sure what happened to dataset_006_backup_4 so, I started another migration of just this volume and manually update the SM for the other 2 volumes. As it stand right now, the other 2 volumes show, the Job Progress state 'Waiting for job <ID> to finish.'.  I have to assume this is waiting to complete the quiesce/break of the SM.

Is there additional logging anywhere that I can see what’s happening?  I checked the dfm logs dir but found nothing... would running testpoints help collect more info?

Thanks,
Scott

3 REPLIES 3

adaikkap
Filer1: Failed to create SnapMirror relationship between FIler1:/dataset_006_backup_4 and Filer2:/dataset_006_backup_4.

Reason: Unable to update the SnapMirror relationship between 'Filer1:/dataset_006_backup_4'(33610) and 'Filer2:/dataset_006_backup_4'(55299).

Reason: Snapmirror error: transfer from source not possible; snapmirror may be misconfigured, the source volume may be busy or unavailable

These are error message coming directly from filers. Will have to take a closer look.

The other 2 volumes are still in a SM state and lagging about 20hours...  I'm not sure what happened to dataset_006_backup_4 so, I started another migration of just this volume and manually update the SM for the other 2 volumes. As it stand right now, the other 2 volumes show, the Job Progress state 'Waiting for job <ID> to finish.'.  I have to assume this is waiting to complete the quiesce/break of the SM.

IIRC at any point in time there can be only one job running for a given  node of a dataset.The backup jobs will wait for the current running job depending upon the state  at which the previous jobs is.

BTW are the jobs that are waiting are they ? Volume Migration jobs are update jobs ?

Regards

adai

kirana

>>Snapmirror error: transfer from source not possible; snapmirror may be misconfigured, the source volume may be busy or unavailable

I would recommend verifying these.

1. Verify snapmirror options(access list, enabled state) is set correctly.
  2. If destination can ping source(that network connectivity is not severed).
  3. Any firewall rule blocking transfer is disabled on destination.
  4. Theres enough space in destination aggr to initiate incremental update.

sswain123

All snapmirror options are set correctly...the initialize was successful.  For whatever reason it was the update that failed.  I'm working with Adai and Shiva offline to resolve this.  Once a solution is found, I will update the thread for the rest of the community to view.

Thanks,
Scott

Public