ONTAP Discussions

vserver language setting

RONNIEMBENGTSEN

Hi,

Anyone that knows why you have more options for language settings when creating a vserver in the CLI then you have in the gui from system manager?

When creating a vserver from system manager you can choose language 'C' but when doing it from CLI you can choose both 'C' and 'C.UTF8'

for use with special characters it can be very bad to choose the wrong language.

- Ronnie

12 REPLIES 12

mrinal

Hi Ronnie,

I believe this issues has been reported as a bug to the System Manager team and will be fixed in an upcoming release.

You should be able to get the same list of languages on System Manager as you do on the ONTAP CLI.

RONNIEMBENGTSEN

Hi Mrinal,

Ok that is good, if it has been reported. Could you find a bug number for me? I could not search it up myself. I would like to follow the bug.

mrinal

Hi,

I do not think there is a public report on the bug at this point. I will check with the System Manager team if they plan to file a public report on it.

bloehlein

Hi Mrinal,

is there a way to specify a default language for newly created vservers? Since the language can't be changed afterwards this could cause some trouble, e.g. with snapmirror relationships...

mrinal

The language for a Vserver can only be defined at the time of creating the Vserver. If the language setting for a Vserver needs to be set to a different value then you will need to create a new Vserver with the correct language settings.

nisarsayed

Question:

What language should we set for vServer for FCP services with SnapMirror Replication ? What if  we had already chosen English-US to create this vServer?

bbjholcomb

Once you set the language for a vserver I don't believe it can be changed. In 8.2 you can create volumes with different languages. Once volume language is set the destination volume for snapmirror must be the same.

nisarsayed

parisi

Actually, 8.2 allows you to modify the language of the vserver.

::> vserver modify -vserver nfs -language

C                  da                 de

en                 en_US              es

fi                 fr                 he

it                 ja                 ja_JP.PCK

ko                 no                 nl

pt                 sv                 zh

zh.GBK             zh_TW              zh_TW.BIG5

C.UTF-8            ar                 ar.UTF-8

cs                 cs.UTF-8           da.UTF-8

de.UTF-8           en.UTF-8           en_US.UTF-8

es.UTF-8           fi.UTF-8           fr.UTF-8

he.UTF-8           hr                 hr.UTF-8

hu                 hu.UTF-8           it.UTF-8

ja.UTF-8           ja_v1              ja_v1.UTF-8

ja_JP.PCK.UTF-8    ja_JP.932          ja_JP.932.UTF-8

ja_JP.PCK_v2       ja_JP.PCK_v2.UTF-8 ko.UTF-8

no.UTF-8           nl.UTF-8           pl

pl.UTF-8           pt.UTF-8           ro

ro.UTF-8           ru                 ru.UTF-8

sk                 sk.UTF-8           sl

sl.UTF-8           sv.UTF-8           tr

tr.UTF-8           zh.UTF-8           zh.GBK.UTF-8

zh_TW.UTF-8        zh_TW.BIG5.UTF-8

Now whether it's a good idea is another story... if you have volumes with different languages, it might cause issues.

scottgelb

I remember that Vserver language can be changed as of 8.2 but not Flexvol language. 7-Mode allows this but I rarely ever ran into a case where we ever changed it.

Sent from my iPhone 5

venuk

i dont think so. SVM (previously Vserver) language setting can't be changed. Starting with clustered Data ONTAP 8.2, volumes in the same SVM can have different language settings, but langauge setting of SVM cant be changed.

Message was edited by: Venu Kulala

scottgelb

I was able to change svm language once in 8.2 on my vsim. But in production I would be very cautious doing so.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Public