ONTAP Discussions

what does this mean for the the future of other backup products?

balbeer

This is great, and will certainly simplify the backup further as RMAN will drive the backup using the APIs. Now, how this will hold the future of backup products, such as, SnapManager for Oracle, SnapProtect, etc....and also, what about SnapVault?

3 REPLIES 3

ogra

Great point Balbeer.

I was thinking earlier that since Oracle supports Crash consistent snapshots why to use this in SM products to take backup without asking Oracle to go in hot-backup mode. I guess this RMAN integration will even eliminate the need of CCS.

Even I'm curious now

nkarthik

Hi Bakshana,

we are using RMAN proxy feature, Oracle keep the database files in hot backup mode before handover the control to MML. So ccs doesn't provide great benefit. Please let us know your comments and feedback about the MML. Can you suggests your friends who is also willing to use RMAN with snapshot they can use MML.we need feedback to make the product useful to the customers like you. we need feedback and comments to make the product useful to the customers like you.

Regards,

Karthikeyan.N

nkarthik

Hi Balbeer,

Thanks asking query. currently we don't have a plan to integrate with SnapManager Products. we are planning to integrate SnapMirror in version 2 and available at december 2012. The MML helps a lot in RMAN environment with bigger size database and also save lots of time, network, CPU efficiency. Please let us know your feedback and suggestion to make the product more useful to you and your company.

Regards

Karthikeyan.N

Public