ONTAP Discussions

windows file server migration to netapp cluster mode FAS2552

siddhartha_boda

Hi Experties,

I want to perform migration of one of the file share folder from the existing windows file server to the newly setup netapp FAS2552 (two node cluster) CIFS share. currently windows file server is running on 2008 OS.

could anybody helpto post me the procdeures available or can share their indiivdual approaches  to perform this activity ? 

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Siddartha

3 REPLIES 3

NAYABSK

Hi Sid, 

May i know the size of the share, How about  Robocopy ( Windows ) it would be the ideal option.

Steps Would be:-

1) Create a cifs share in Netapp storage of same size or higher than your windows 

2) Map it to a windows machine where the windows file server is accessible 

3) Perform a Robocopy from  your windows file share to new cifs share 

Let me know if any concerns and remeber you copy will be limited by the network link in your environment....

Thanks,

Nayab

--*If my answer helped you to solve your issue, Please help to accept it as solution so that others can refer to it*--

siddhartha_boda

Hi Nayab,

Thanks for sharing the steps. sorry fort he delay in replying back.Actually i need to know the steps you perform the full copy and incrementals using robocopy 

if you have performed this earlier could you share them ?

apart from those steps highlighted what all the otehr things i need to take care off ? i will discuss with you in details some otehr info later on once i start mi migration this week.

i heard open files cant be copied using robocopy is it true ?

Thanks

NAYABSK

Hey Sid,

I found this File Server Migration Toolkit from Microsoft. A very cool and free tool, with a userfriendly interface.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d00e3eae-930a-42b0-b595-66f462f5d87b&DisplayLang=en 

This will take care of incremental transfers and also this Graphical User Interface much easier to use

I will check on copy of Open Files and let you know

Public