EF & E-Series, SANtricity, and Related Plug-ins

E2600 configuration wipe to factory defaults

agapotron

We moved 4 E-series units from one data center to another, with the idea that we would just do a complete wipe of the units and repurpose them. We took the disks out of the units and put them in unlabelled boxes, thinking we would just wipe the systems when we reassembled them. I just assembled one of them, brought it up, and tried to do a simple "clear configuration". But it is not allowing me to do it, because it claims all the disks are "incompatible" because of "failed database adoption". I'm guessing the drives for all the units got mixed up, and they think they should all go to their original units. Anyway, to make a long story short, all I want is to destroy everything and set the unit as if it were coming from the factory. Is there an easy way of doing this? Or, if not an easy way, is there a hard way of doing this? Seems like I can't do anything with these units now...

# SMcli

clear storageArray configuration;
Unable to reset the configuration using the Set Storage Array command at line 1.
Error 101 - The operation cannot complete because either there is a problem communicating with any of the drives in the storage array or there are currently no drives connected.

show allDrives summary;
SUMMARY
Number of drives: 60
Current media type(s): Hard Disk Drive (60)
Current interface type(s): Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) (60)
Drive capabilities: Data Assurance (DA) (60), Full Disk Encryption (FDE) (60)

BASIC:

TRAY, DRAWER, SLOT STATUS CAPACITY MEDIA TYPE INTERFACE TYPE CURRENT DATA RATE PRODUCT ID FIRMWARE VERSION CAPABILITIES
99, 1, 1 Incompatible 2,794.519 GB Hard Disk Drive SAS 6 Gbps ST33000651SS MS01 DA, FDE

... etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

agapotron

I guess I'll answer my own question, since I finally figured it out: To completely wipe a system, you have to go through the serial console cable attached to one of the controllers in the back. Once connected, you send a <BREAK> and then <ESC>, and that will get you to the VXworks login prompt. You enter the login and password (I found them by searching the internet), and that will give you a very limited prompt. At that prompt, enter "sysWipe" and say goodbye to all your data, configuration, or anything else in the system. But it got rid of all the previous configurations, all the disks returned to available and green, and I was able to install the unit as if it was coming from the factory. Yay!!! 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

agapotron

I guess I'll answer my own question, since I finally figured it out: To completely wipe a system, you have to go through the serial console cable attached to one of the controllers in the back. Once connected, you send a <BREAK> and then <ESC>, and that will get you to the VXworks login prompt. You enter the login and password (I found them by searching the internet), and that will give you a very limited prompt. At that prompt, enter "sysWipe" and say goodbye to all your data, configuration, or anything else in the system. But it got rid of all the previous configurations, all the disks returned to available and green, and I was able to install the unit as if it was coming from the factory. Yay!!! 

AlexDawson

Hi agapotron,

I'm glad you were able to find a solution. Generally we would suggest to contact support for this procedure, as there is of course a high possibility for data loss. 

agapotron

Well, two comments about this:

1. The whole point of this question is that I don't care about data loss. All I wanted was to wipe the unit. No data to rescue.

2. The unit is out of warranty and out of maintenance, so calling support will get me nowhere. That's why I was posting the question in the community boards

AlexDawson

Thanks for your feedback - I understand and agree with your approach here.

fpic

Hello agapotron. Do you have a part-number for the serial cable you used to connect to? I can see a mini-usb port with serial sign, but even i connect it to the pc I cant see new comport on device manage. Is this a special netapp cable?

fpic

can I have some more details?
I'm in the same situation, with an old system obtained for free, without support contract and without any chance to open a support case. 

I don't have the serial cable, and I bought some connectors to build a DB9 to miniUsb cable. I also have a usb to RS232 adapter. 
Even If i connect to the right serial port with putty and 115200 as speed, nothing came up on terminal window.
1- When you write do a <BREAK> and after an <ESC>, does it means fn+break keys or another combination?
2- I could also have wired my cable wrong, does someone have a schema for the wires for DB9 (5 pins) to miniUsb (5pins)? On  miniUsb pins i have "S" "+" "D+" "D-" "-" signs, and on the side of the DB9 T-, T+, R+(D+), R-(D-), GND
Thanks for any help on trying to wipe this system.

agapotron

The cable I'm talking about is the DB9 to PS2 cable described on this manual:
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1532567
It is the one where the description says "This cable is used for
support only." The adapter came with the system, so I'm not sure if it
was anything special, or if it was just a standard serial cable.

As for more details, this thread is pretty old, but I can give you
some of the notes I had from that time. We connected the RS232 DB9
side of the cable to a linux laptop with a USB-to-serial adapter, and
the PS2 side of the cable to the controller on the unit. Then, on the
linux laptop we ran:
screen /dev/ttyUSB0
Then you turn on the unit. Here are the comments from there:
... a screen opens, and if the unit is turned on, you may see some garbage ...
... press or until it figures out the baud rate ...
... eventually, you will get boot messages scrolling through the screen ...
... at this point, you can press <ctrl-a> followed by 'b' followed by <esc>...
<ctrl-a>b<esc>
... This should give you the login prompt to VxWorks ...
VxWorks login: shellUsr
Password: wy3oo&w4
->
Serial Port shell started
sysWipe
Executing sysWipe. Boards will reboot on completion.
... at this point the unit is being wiped. No going back now ...

That's all the information I have. Good luck!

fpic

Thanks for your informations. I still have a doubt with the cable. On the back of the E2600 storage I have a mini-usb socket with |o|o| sign, telling me that it is the serial port to connect to (see picture). You speak for an PS2 connection that it's a very different round connector. 
I've tried to build myself the cable DB9 to mini-usb, but without schematic diagram my try hasn't worked. That's why I ask for a part number, to buy your same cable.
I also used ad UBS to serial adapter to do the same, and If I connect to a serial port of a swich, things works fine, but not with the netapp.

Can you look at your cable and see if there some information I can use to buy it somewhere? Thank you

Public