EF & E-Series, SANtricity, and Related Plug-ins

Upgrade controller firmware on E2624 without any disks installed

APL

I power on the unit and the controllers go through their process until everything has settled down. At this point I want to connect to the device but I can't find it or ping it on 192.168.128.101 or 192.168.128.102. Looking at the front there are no amber lights, however all 24 drives are solid green. Looking at the rear there are green lights on the PSUs but the code LH is displayed on both controllers.

I looked up the code and it says it's a 'controller firmware mismatch' and it would be suspended. I tried both controllers in the controller A slot on their own and the same issue. I also tried the unit with DHCP on the network and nothing.

I'm new to NetApp and without being able to connect via TCP/IP how can I update the firmware? There is a PS2 port on both controllers for what I assume is a serial connection, can I use this?

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSamples

To gain access you need to use the right IP address.    By default you are using the correct IP address for port 1 on both controllers.    Port 2 on uses the 129 network.     192.168.129.101/102.       Now a wierd behavior is that you have to have an active network connection for 3mins before that IP address will respond.    SO plugin your network port...   Setup a ping and wait 3 - 5mins for it to respond.      If you are using the correct IP address it will start working.       

Now if someone has changed the IP address for all the ports you will need the Serial cable that plugs into that PS2 port.     From there you can run some commands to reset the IP address.   (netCfgSet)

Mike

@APL wrote:

I power on the unit and the controllers go through their process until everything has settled down. At this point I want to connect to the device but I can't find it or ping it on 192.168.128.101 or 192.168.128.102. Looking at the front there are no amber lights, however all 24 drives are solid green. Looking at the rear there are green lights on the PSUs but the code LH is displayed on both controllers.

I looked up the code and it says it's a 'controller firmware mismatch' and it would be suspended. I tried both controllers in the controller A slot on their own and the same issue. I also tried the unit with DHCP on the network and nothing.

I'm new to NetApp and without being able to connect via TCP/IP how can I update the firmware? There is a PS2 port on both controllers for what I assume is a serial connection, can I use this?

APL

**UPDATE**

I have been spending some time on this last weekend and it seems that the firmware mismatch LH error is between the firmware version running on the controllers and the firmware running on the hard drives. Simply unplugging all 24 drives has allowed the E2624 to fire up without error. I created a PS2 serial cable and was able to watch the the boot as the error happened and it reports that I need to upgrade my controller firmware to version 08.20.xx. The issue now is that without the hard drives installed the software won't allow me to upgrade the controller firmware (catch 22 - if I then install even a single drive I have for this unit it errors with LH and everything suspends). If I use the same drives in the new E2724 the unit sees them without issue and I'm able to add them to my enviroment.

So the question now is... Is there a way to upgrade the firware on the E2624 controllers without any disks installed in the front? Would I need to use the serial connection to do this with commands or using the management software?

koby

hi,

I have the same problem. only way i can see the controller status is through the serial port.

in my case i can ping the controller, but the storage manager app cannot find it.

did you find how to upgrade the firmware through to the serial port?

did you find any telnet/serial port commands datasheet ?

thanks.

elic

hi,

i have the same problem. only way i can see the controller status is through the serial port.

in my case i can ping the controller, but the storage manager app cannot find it.

did you find how to upgrade the firmware through to the serial port?

do you have any datasheet for the available command in terminal\Serial port ?

thanks

Public