Subscribe

ADP still limited to internal disks on FAS26XX with Ontap 9.2?

Just trying to confirm that ADP is still only supported on the internal disks (those in the the shelf with the nodes) on the FAS26XX series running Ontap 9.2? I can't track it down in the docs.

Thanks!

Re: ADP still limited to internal disks on FAS26XX with Ontap 9.2?

I can confirm that this is the case - up to 24 spinning drives only, and only in the internal shelves, and it is ADPv1 - RD (Root/Data), not ADPv2 - RDD (Root/Data/Data - that is SSD only).

Unfortunately I can't find a public resource that says as much. 

Hope this helps!

AlexDawson wrote:

only in the internal shelves

ONTAP 9.x release notes explicitly say: "Beginning with ONTAP 9.0, root-data partitioning is supported by the FAS2600 series on hard disk drives (HDDs) in external disk shelves." If what you say is true, I expect release notes to be fixed.

I can confirm that the Sept 2017 9.2 release notes state that ADP on external shelves for the 2600 from 9.0 - interestingly this is not in the 9.0 release notes. I was earlier relying on an internal doc on ADP released July 2017.

Clearly only one is correct - I will find out and update.

AlexDawson wrote:

I was earlier relying on an internal doc on ADP released July 2017.

Do you mean SE presentation? Indeed, it says exactly opposite Smiley Happy Would be nice to align them.

AlexDawson wrote:

Clearly only one is correct - I will find out and update.

Much appreciated!

I can't confirm or deny if that document exists Smiley Wink But yes, I've contacted the documentation and TME teams and have asked for them to fight it out and let me know which is correct.

Thank you all! I got our systems in an am playing with them before we put them into production. I'll try to reinitialize one with ADP on the external shelf. 

Ok - I have clarified the situation with our TME team - Only the FAS2650 supports ADPv1 on an external shelf of NL-SAS drives if and only if the internal slots are empty. Additional shelves added to a system with internal drives are not partitioned.

The NL-SAS drives that we have available are all large form factor (LFF), while the internal shelf on a FAS2650 is small form factor (SFF), and we do not have a FAS2240-4/2554 type of system with controllers in a 24-slot LFF shelf in our most recent generation of hardware, therefore there may be a desire under some situations to deploy one with only "external" drives, and it is of course desirable to have them partitioned for the root aggregates.

The FAS2620 does not have this behavior, as it is a LFF 12-slot enclosure, but we also have SAS and SSD SFF drives in a LFF carrier to fit in it, so the internal slots can be used for the root partition under any of these configs.

Hope this helps!

[ Edited ]

There's a non-public bug Feature Request that allows ADP to include external shelves on FAS26xx, starting with ONTAP 9.1.

If you're running ONTAP 9.2, the new Option 9 (ADP) boot menu option is the cat's meow.

Thanks for all the information! We have a FAS2620, so it sounds like I'll have to stick with the internal shelf only ADP. That's fine with me :-)