ONTAP Hardware

Active/Passive and keeping a parition for core dumps

nhwanderer

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding if I need a data parition for core dumps on the passive node of my active/passive system.

We're running Ontap 9.1p8 on a FAS2620 with ADP.

This Ontap 9 article about active/passive says nothing about a spare parition on the second node.

This Onap 9 article about correctign misaligned spares says every node needs a spare data parition for core dumps. 

In either case, when I first setup the system and fully populated the active node with the data paritions, holding one back for a spare data parition on the passive node, the active node almost immediately "stole" that data parition through a disk copy that it apparently started all by itself. 

Thanks for any input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sgrant

Hello, to confirm you need a drive with both spare data and root partitions owned by the node to perform a core dump.

However, to maximise capacity only a single spare drive is normally allocated across the HA-Pair. Both nodes will have a single spare root partition, but only the active node will have a single data partition. This means we cannot guarantee a core dump from the passive node.

Hope this make sense.

Thanks,

Grant.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sgrant

Hello, to confirm you need a drive with both spare data and root partitions owned by the node to perform a core dump.

However, to maximise capacity only a single spare drive is normally allocated across the HA-Pair. Both nodes will have a single spare root partition, but only the active node will have a single data partition. This means we cannot guarantee a core dump from the passive node.

Hope this make sense.

Thanks,

Grant.

AlexDawson

I'll also add - the situations where you need a core-dump are very limited - and from a passive node, even more so. For the sake of efficiency, I wouldn't bother making provisions for it on a FAS2620.

Public