ONTAP Hardware

Adding disks from different shelves

fedaynnetapp

Hi,

I'm going to add some disks to a SATA aggragate as it's running out of space.

The idea is to create another RD of 20 disks, the same size as the current RD.

First off, I need to add the spare disks to the aggregate and I'm wondering wheter it makes any difference adding the disks from the same shelf or not.

Any best practice on adding disks to the aggregates.

My backgorund:

V3240

64bits aggregate

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

First of all, you're talking about adding NetApp native disks, not 3rd party LUNs, right?

Secondly, spares belong to a controller, not to a particular aggregate.

Normally it doesn't make much difference whether aggregate spans multiple shelves, or not. In theory you can lose a shelf, but it's very unlikely it will actually happen.

Regards,

Radek

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

radek_kubka

First of all, you're talking about adding NetApp native disks, not 3rd party LUNs, right?

Secondly, spares belong to a controller, not to a particular aggregate.

Normally it doesn't make much difference whether aggregate spans multiple shelves, or not. In theory you can lose a shelf, but it's very unlikely it will actually happen.

Regards,

Radek

fedaynnetapp

NetApp native disks.

I haven't said that the disks belong to the aggregate, just that I need to add the disks to the aggregate. May be I said it in a wrong way,

Thank you.

fedaynnetapp

By the way, once the disks are added to the aggregate and the Raid Group is created. Does the controller do any operations over the new RG like zeroing or something like that.

My question comes as I'd like to resize a volume held by that aggregate and I wouldn't like that the volume goes in a poor performance till any operations over the new RG are finished.

Thank you again.

scottgelb

Soare Drives are zeroed unles they were part of an a former aggregate. They would show "non zeroed" in aggr status -s of that were the case. So if none show not zeroed they will hot add automatically. And it is a good idea to add the matching sized raid group. Good plan.

Public