ONTAP Hardware

Backup by NDMP on FAS2020

maciej_mrzyglod

Hi all!

I need help by resolving the backup issue.

Shortly... blades boot from SAN with FC cards, FAS 2020, XenServer and IBM TS3100 library by FC.

My idea is to make full backup of filler by NDMP because there is a problem with pass-through for FC ports to VM's in XenServer.

I don't want dedicate separate server as backup server in my chassis.

My filler has two controllers, each with two FC ports. It's connected to SAN swithes with four paths. I use multipath in XenServer - four paths used.

The problem is that filler doesn't see the library connected to SAN switch. The zonning is made correctly, to one filler's FC port.

I red articles and want to ensure is it true that I CANNOT use tape drive which is connected to SAN switch and zonned to the filler's port (that port is also used by host connection through SAN switch).

If it's true what is solution for me? Should I change zoning and run the data flow on three paths and use the last one for tape drve only?

Thank for help.

24 REPLIES 24

aborzenkov

yes, that's correct.

maciej_mrzyglod

Hi again!

One more thing...the backup data from controller that has no tape drive directly attached goes very slow....by ethernet....I think too slow as for my ethernet and there's question below...

Is is possible to zone the same tape drive to two controllers in order to use dump command on them? Will they work with one tape drive (of course, no in the same while)?

aborzenkov

Yes, it is physically possible. You need to consult your backup software whether it supports it. It is easy to get corrupted backups this way.

maciej_mrzyglod

Thank you very much once again.

I will come back to the topic after I deply NDMP option for backup software.

Public