ONTAP Hardware

Determining IP addresses needed for NFS deployment

CLOUDMINER

I have an NFS deployment as such:

I have one storage system (FAS2040).  There is a VIF on controller 1, and one VIF on controller 2.  I will have 3 NFS exports on the storage system.  If one controller fails, the other needs to be able to service all 3 NFS exports.

How many IP addresses need to be assigned to the storage system?  Is it one IP address for VIF1 on controller 1, and another IP address for VIF 2 on controller 2?

2 REPLIES 2

DAMNX6789

Quote:

I have one storage system (FAS2040).  There is a VIF on controller 1, and one VIF on controller 2.  I will have 3 NFS exports on the storage system.  If one controller fails, the other needs to be able to service all 3 NFS exports.

/quote

You have to specify the partner VIF in the rc file. If you do not specify a partner interface, a takeover will result in losing datastore connectivity.

The local node must specify, using the partner option of the ifconfig command, the mapping of the partner's interface group. For example, to map the partner's ifgrp2 interface to the local ifgrp1 interface, the following command is required:

ifconfig ifgrp1 partner ifgrp2

Note that the interface must be named, not the address. The mapping must be at the top-level trunk, if trunks are nested. You do not map link-by-link.

Quote:

How many IP addresses need to be assigned to the storage system?  Is it one IP address for VIF1 on controller 1, and another IP address for VIF 2 on controller 2?

/quote

It depends 🙂

If all datastores reside on controller 1, then the minimum configuration is 1 ip address.

Since this is bad for multiple datastore (via nfs) you should provide at least 2 on one controller.

Regards

Michael

cgeck0000

If you want to load balance your NFS storage traffic from vSphere between the 1Gb physical ports you will need 2 IP addresses per VIF. 2 physical ports = 2 IP addresses.

You want to refer to NetApp TR-3749 NetApp Storage Best Practices for VMware vSphere.

Public