ONTAP Hardware

Dual controller - Two aggr's??

nsitps1976

If you have a dual controller system do you need to split the disks into two aggrs, one per controller? - Does all I/O too an aggr go though a single controller, hence split the storage for load balancing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

Correct.  Each controller is active and needs at least 1 aggregate and 1 spare per node.  These are per controller and are not shared (unless a failover event).  So for a cluster, you need at least 2 aggregates and 2 spares (1 per node).  Spares are not shared between cluster pairs (unfortunately).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

scottgelb

Correct.  Each controller is active and needs at least 1 aggregate and 1 spare per node.  These are per controller and are not shared (unless a failover event).  So for a cluster, you need at least 2 aggregates and 2 spares (1 per node).  Spares are not shared between cluster pairs (unfortunately).

nsitps1976

Thanks - Does each controller also have its own root vol? - Also, with a dual controller system (2040C) can I have disks in the head and disks in a single DS4243? (I have heard you may need two DS units with a dual controller array???).

Darkstar

The first question you can answer yourself: if the controllers need separate aggregates, of course they also have their own root volumes.

And it doesn't matter what type of disks you have, you can assign any disks to any controller. You can split the 12 internal disks in 6 for controller A and 6 for controller B (although I wouldn't recommend it). You can give each controller disks from a DS4243 shelf. Or one controller gets the internal disks and one the external ones (that's the way it is usually done)

-Michael

nsitps1976

I have been informed that if you have a 3140 dual and you want to use a DS4243 shelf you will need two shelfs (rather than one)? Is this correct and if so does this apply to the 2040 dual also?

chriszurich

That is correct, each controller needs 1 disk shelf. 

Darkstar

chriszurich wrote:

That is correct, each controller needs 1 disk shelf. 

Do you have any sources for that claim?

We have various customers that have split shelves between the two controllers. This has definitely worked with DS14 shelves before and I have not found anything that suggests that it has changed with the new SAS based shelves

-Michael

chriszurich

As you mentioned in your previous response you can split a disk shelf and make it available to two different controllers using software based ownership.  It is however not recommended as you also mentioned. I was attempting to keep my answer short... but it appears I should have elaborated a bit more.  

nsitps1976

See the DS4243 Installation and Service Guide - It mentions software based disk ownership on page 4 (also see notes below) - Does this help answer the question????

Darkstar

nsitps1976 wrote:

See the DS4243 Installation and Service Guide - It mentions software based disk ownership on page 4 (also see notes below) - Does this help answer the question????

Well, that's exactly what Software based disk ownership is for: splitting disks in one shelf between different controllers.

The Service Guide only says that DS4232 doesn't support hardware based disk ownership (which makes sense).

Nothing in there says that you cannot assign disks in the same shelf to different controllers.

Public