ONTAP Hardware

FAS and ESX : will i loose a lot using iSCSI instead of NFS ?

IMPI

Hi,

i just learn that when you virtualize a MS Exchange you must use a block protocol. Even if ESX present NFS from FAS as a block device, it is not supported.

We have been working with ESX, FAS and NFS for years with no problem, even with many exchange servers on it !!

I read many links from there and other forum and difficult to know what to do.

We now have a brand new strech metrocluster (2 fas8020 and 2 DS2246), and before having it under production i'm asking myself if i should use it with NFS (which is the prefered method for ESX/FAS) or with iSCSI (which is best practices for exchange).

Will i loose feature/performance ?

Any advice is welcome

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jeff_Yao

i think as you're going to use exchange, you should use ms's recommendation - using block - iscsi.

using nfs might work well too. but it is not supported by ms. so if you have some issue on ESE, you're on your own - coz ms says "we dont support it".

there's tr4221 you can read from fieldportal.netapp.com website.

hopefully helps

thanks

Jeff

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jeff_Yao

i think as you're going to use exchange, you should use ms's recommendation - using block - iscsi.

using nfs might work well too. but it is not supported by ms. so if you have some issue on ESE, you're on your own - coz ms says "we dont support it".

there's tr4221 you can read from fieldportal.netapp.com website.

hopefully helps

thanks

Jeff

IMPI

Sorry for my late reply and thnaks for your detail one !

I'll go ahead and read your doc

Public