ONTAP Hardware

FAS2020 HA disk allocation

peter_wise

We have a FAS2020 with 2 controllers and 12 x 1.0Tb SATA drives with the following configuration:

• Filer1 = 6 disks with Raid DP
  • Filer2 = 6 disks with Raid DP
  • HA = active/active

I have just added a DS14mk4 with 14 x 600Gb SAS disks and linked them with FC to both controllers. I plan to store databases and other fast access applications on the SAS disks as the read latency on the SATAs can be pretty poor.

I would like to maximise the amount of storage space that I have and get the best performance and reliability from our systems so I was planning to build an aggregate with all the SAS disks on one controller and rebuild a single aggregate of the SATA disks on the other.

My question is regarding the HA side of things:

If I configure the system as proposed will the HA still work or do the disks for both the internal and the storage tray need to be spread equally among the controllers?

for example, should I configure:

• Filer1
    • Agg0  = 6 x SATA disks with Raid DP
    • Agg1 = 7 x SAS disks with Raid DP
  • Filer2
    • Agg0 = 6 x SATA disks with Raid DP
    • Agg1 = 7 x SAS disks with Raid DP

or can I configure:

• Filer1 Agg0 = 12 x SATA disks with Raid DP
  • Filer2 Agg0 = 14 x SAS disks with Raid DP

and still retain the active/active HA?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

resqme914

Your second config should be fine and unless there are cabling issues, you should retain your HA.  I assume it's a typo when you mention all SATA on the second config.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

resqme914

Your second config should be fine and unless there are cabling issues, you should retain your HA.  I assume it's a typo when you mention all SATA on the second config.

peter_wise

Thanks resqme914,

I will give that a try and test the HA tonight.

*typo corrected*

Public