ONTAP Hardware

FAS2020 Setup With FC Disk Shelf

sanman2304

Setting up a FAS2020 HA system with an additional FC shelf. What I would like is all disks within the chassis to be assigned and running one controller and all the disks from the FC shelf be assigned and running the other controller. Right now I have the default setup of 4 disks from the chassis assigned to one controller and another 4 disks from within the chassis assigned to the second controller (Both RAID-DP with 1 hot spare). How do I go about removing the 4 chassis disks from one controller and then reinstalling that controller on the 14 disk FC shelf? This way I can maximize the most disks:

Controller 1: 12x600GB SAS disks in chassis (RAID-DP 9 data 2 parity 1 spare)

Controller 2: 14x600GB FC disks shelf (RAID-DP 11 data 2 parity 1 spare)

I know it has something to do with maintenance mode, but I do not know the exact steps to destroy the current aggregate, assign the disks to controller 1, create a new aggregate on the FC disk shelf and reinstall.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vmsjaak13

On controller 2:

Create a new aggregate of 13 600GB disks, and keep one as hot spare.

Copy the root volume from the small SAS aggregate to the newly created FC aggregate.

Assign the SAS disks on controller 2 to unowned.

On controller 1:

Assign the old Controller 2 SAS disks.

Add the SAS disks to the SAS aggregate.

Reallocate the volumes (if there are any besides the root vol).

No need for maintenance mode to do this.

Regards,

Niek

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

vmsjaak13

On controller 2:

Create a new aggregate of 13 600GB disks, and keep one as hot spare.

Copy the root volume from the small SAS aggregate to the newly created FC aggregate.

Assign the SAS disks on controller 2 to unowned.

On controller 1:

Assign the old Controller 2 SAS disks.

Add the SAS disks to the SAS aggregate.

Reallocate the volumes (if there are any besides the root vol).

No need for maintenance mode to do this.

Regards,

Niek

cgeck0000

Hello Niek,

Is this something you've done in the past?

Is there anything that needs to be modified on the controller so it knows that the root volume in on say aggr1 instead of the original aggr0?

Is there an ONTAP command you recommend to use for copying /vol/vol0 to the new aggregate?  I know about snapmirror to replicate volumes.

Thanks.

vmsjaak13

I've done this many times on the FAS2000 series.

Here's a good guide on how to do it: http://sannasanalyst.blogspot.com/2010/10/moving-root-volume-in-netapp.html

You have to use different options for the disks when creating a new aggre of course.

I always used ndmpcopy, but 'vol copy start' works too (then you'd need to restrict the new volume first).

Regards,

Niek

sanman2304

Hello Niek,

I was rushed a couple of days ago and did not have time to say thank you for guiding me on this task.  I was able to accomplish it with no issue.

Public