ONTAP Hardware

FAS2240-2 HA Pair, can both controllers have a Flash Pool?

TREBOR2000

I know that only one aggr per controller can use the flash pool (in 7-mode anyway), but I feel like I read once that the 400 GB flash pool limit applied to the entire HA pair. I can't find the information again however.

We have an existing 400 GB flash pool on one aggr, and I'd like to bring up a second aggr on the other controller with another 400 GB of flash pool (assuming my boss will spring for the 4 additional SSDs)

Oh, here's a link I found where they make is sound like you can only have one flash pool per HA pair. https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/392844-did-i-buy-a-misconfigured-netapp

When I read that thread, my first thought was "why not add a Flash Pool on the other controller?", but even NetApp doesn't give that as a suggestion, which makes me think it's not possible.

Does anyone know if you can have two? We're on 8.2.1 7-Mode

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

asulliva

Hardware Universe is where the information is found.  Looking at your combination (2240-2 w/8.2.1 7-mode) you are able to have a maximum of .78 TiB (about 800GB) of FlashPool for the HA pair.  This means you could have one controller with all 800GB, each with 400GB, one with 200GB and the other with 600GB, etc. so long as the total doesn't exceed .78 TiB.

2016-01-11 21_01_33-NetApp Hardware Universe.png

Hope that helps.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

asulliva

Hardware Universe is where the information is found.  Looking at your combination (2240-2 w/8.2.1 7-mode) you are able to have a maximum of .78 TiB (about 800GB) of FlashPool for the HA pair.  This means you could have one controller with all 800GB, each with 400GB, one with 200GB and the other with 600GB, etc. so long as the total doesn't exceed .78 TiB.

2016-01-11 21_01_33-NetApp Hardware Universe.png

Hope that helps.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

TREBOR2000

You the man! Thanks for looking that up! Reaching out to our reseller for a quote now.

Public