ONTAP Hardware

General questions about aggregate

SVHO

Hello,

We have received our new FAS 2650 last week and have a few questions about it.

12 -900 GB, 10K drives (OS for now)

36- 8TB, 7.2K drives (data storage)

The installer originally split into two aggregates of 17 drives each for the 7.2K drives equallying about 83.3 TB.  We requested to have it change to 20 & 13 drives respectively (102 TB on agg1 & 70 TB on agg2).

My questions:

1) What are the advantages of having multiple aggregates and in my case both have similar number of drives count? I am thinking it is to have both nodes working and instead of having one node being active and the other node passive.  My intital concern was having only 20 drives could affect speed but when I took a peek at the "Raid Group Selection", it did show that my agg1 with the 102TB actually belonged to two raid groups.  Which means speed won't be affected in my case?

2) What is the max size of an aggregate?  I read some it listed as 100TB and others listed 150TB.

3)Maxium file count, why is it listing only 31136 files on the aggregate page?

Thanks,

SVHO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

J-L-B

Here's a link for the Hardware Universe   https://hwu.netapp.com

Here's a link for a recent NetApp Disks and Aggregate Guide   https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2496263

1) What are the advantages of having multiple aggregates and in my case both have similar number of drives count? I am thinking it is to have both nodes working and instead of having one node being active and the other node passive.  My intital concern was having only 20 drives could affect speed but when I took a peek at the "Raid Group Selection", it did show that my agg1 with the 102TB actually belonged to two raid groups.  Which means speed won't be affected in my case?

-The FAS2650 controllers are active/active HA pnodes 01 and 02.  You host data on both at the same time.  Your SVM will stretch across both nodes (or more if you add to the cluster)  The aggregates are typically built with RAID-DP raid groups (double parity).  There are maximum raid group size limits per controller/disk type.  As a NetApp customer, you can always log into the Hardware Universe and filter for your Platform>FAS Series>OS Version.  Then select your FAS model 2650.  Then choose Show Results.  You will see a list of different types of information and limitations for your configuration.  The Max Raid Group size for OnTap 9.1 on FAS2650 with 8TB NL-SAS disks using RAID-DP is 14 disks per raid group.   

2) What is the max size of an aggregate?  I read some it listed as 100TB and others listed 150TB.

-The Max Aggregate Size for your a FAS2650 with ONTAP 9.1 is 400TiB.  The Max Aggregate size always depends on types of controllers, version of ONTAP, and types of disks involved in the aggregate.  

-Where are you seeing the max file count?  Can you send a screenshot?  

JLB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

J-L-B

Here's a link for the Hardware Universe   https://hwu.netapp.com

Here's a link for a recent NetApp Disks and Aggregate Guide   https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2496263

-The FAS2650 controllers are active/active HA pnodes 01 and 02.  You host data on both at the same time.  Your SVM will stretch across both nodes (or more if you add to the cluster)  The aggregates are typically built with RAID-DP raid groups (double parity).  There are maximum raid group size limits per controller/disk type.  As a NetApp customer, you can always log into the Hardware Universe and filter for your Platform>FAS Series>OS Version.  Then select your FAS model 2650.  Then choose Show Results.  You will see a list of different types of information and limitations for your configuration.  The Max Raid Group size for OnTap 9.1 on FAS2650 with 8TB NL-SAS disks using RAID-DP is 14 disks per raid group.   

-The Max Aggregate Size for your a FAS2650 with ONTAP 9.1 is 400TiB.  The Max Aggregate size always depends on types of controllers, version of ONTAP, and types of disks involved in the aggregate.  

-Where are you seeing the max file count?  Can you send a screenshot?  

JLB

SVHO

3) Hardware and Diagnostics--> Aggregates

Look at the "Maxium Files" bottom left.

Public