ONTAP Hardware

Hot Add Fabric Stretched Mtero Cluster - alter cabling

chrisstyles

Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice / re assurance 🙂

We had an engineer add two new shelves to a fabric stretched metro cluter. Added in fine but he messed up the cabling.

Basically he added the new shelves (8 & 9) to the open sas ports. This is correct for the left hand side whch the cabling starts at shelf 0 and the last port is open at shelf 9 now.

For the right hand side he connected into the open port on shelf 0 to shelf 9, 9 to 8 and left the open port on shelf 8. (don't ask). He did this on both sides of the metro cluster.

So we need to recable the shleves by removing the link (shelf 7 to filer) and the link (shelf 0 to shelf 9) and cabling shelf 9 to the filer and shelf 8 to shelf 7.

Question is... if these shelves are now in use and I am chaning the cabling paths as seen by the ATTO bridges, whill I cause any outages? Obviously I will need to do this lve.

We intend to disable failover during this process but will loose access to the shelves through the right hand path.

Any thoughts or advise greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Disks on ATTO bridge are named <slot><port>.<loopID>L<LUN>; the <LUN> part enumerates disks starting with the shelf to which ATTO bridge is connected in physical order of shelf attachement (for each side A and B). If you change shelf order in a stack, disks get different LUN numbers. It is not a problem for offline change; but for online - who knows. I appreciate if you could post support response.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Public