ONTAP Hardware

Hot-adding IOM6 sas shelf as first shelf in a stack

LORENZO_CONTI

Hello,

I tried to find documentation without success.

I have to hot-add a DS4246 disk shelf to an existing stack. In the "Installation and service guide" i find this statement

If you are hot-adding a disk shelf to an existing stack, this procedure is written for hot-adding the disk shelf to the logical last disk shelf of the stack.

Do you know if it's possible to hot-add the shelf to the logical first disk shelf of the stack? (I've seen that with IOM12 it's allowed, and documented).

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

It depends what you mean with "first" and "last". It does not matter where you connect shelf physically. But you cannot change assigned shelf number without power cycle which means your physical shelf order won't match logical one. From technical perspective everything will continue to work just fine. But someone who assumes shelf 10 is the "first" one may accidentally unplug the wrong cable.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

It depends what you mean with "first" and "last". It does not matter where you connect shelf physically. But you cannot change assigned shelf number without power cycle which means your physical shelf order won't match logical one. From technical perspective everything will continue to work just fine. But someone who assumes shelf 10 is the "first" one may accidentally unplug the wrong cable.

LORENZO_CONTI

Thanks @aborzenkov,

this is the important thing: It does not matter where you connect shelf physically

I know that shelf id cannot be changed without power off it.

Kind regards

Lorenzo

colsen

Alex posted a concise approach with steps in this thread:

https://community.netapp.com/t5/FAS-and-V-Series-Storage-Systems-Discussions/Procedure-on-Add-DS2246-disk-shelf-to-existing-disk-shelf-stack-with-FAS8...

It's in his response, but see page 12 of the following:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1119629

I agree with the "doesn't matter where you place it physically" comment - just pay attention to shelfIDs and cabling sequence as mentioned...

Good luck,

Chris

Public