ONTAP Hardware

How to bring a second-hand FAS2040 without disks back to live?

Techneut

Can I bring a NetApp FAS2040 back to live?

I have bought a NetApp FAS2040 at an auction.

It has two powersupplies and one controller.

It has no disks.

I want to buy six NetApp 300 GB 15K SAS-to-FC 3.5" Hot Swap Disks - X286A-R5.

Can I bring it back to live?

Please help.

Greetings,

Jos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

How can I obtain license codes for ISCSI, nfs and so forth, for my second-hand NetApp FAS2040?

You have to ask original owner to give them. And I do not imply that you can legally use them even in this case ... IANAL.

When I install 3 disks  and install Ontap 7.3.2 RC1, will it have licenses?

No. You will need to manually register them. And you will need original installation package of Data ONTAP to finalize creation of root volume, because some content is simply extracted from this package and is not present on boot medium.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

aborzenkov

Connect null-modem serial cable, configure your terminal as 9600, 8 bit, no parity, switch FAS2040 - it should attempt to boot. If it does attempt to boot, you can then initialize disks; depending on version currently installed you may need to have full operating system archive. It could be a challenge to work with it if you do not have access to NetApp support site downloads ...

Techneut

Thank you,

I will try.

Techneut

Hello,

I have connected my pc with a null modem cable with the console port of the FAS2040.

The FAS2040 has no disks yet.

I have powered on the FAS2040.

The FAS2040 will boot ONTAP until it detects is has no disk. Then it will reboot again.

The FAS2040 has ONTAP 7.3.2 RC1 installed.

Thats fine so far.

I am going to buy 3 disks.

My question is as follows: How can I obtain license codes for ISCSI, nfs and so forth, for my second-hand NetApp FAS2040?

Thank you

Jos

aborzenkov

How can I obtain license codes for ISCSI, nfs and so forth, for my second-hand NetApp FAS2040?

You have to ask original owner to give them. And I do not imply that you can legally use them even in this case ... IANAL.

No. You will need to manually register them. And you will need original installation package of Data ONTAP to finalize creation of root volume, because some content is simply extracted from this package and is not present on boot medium.

Techneut

Thank you,

It looks like I should not hava bought the FAS2040.

At least I did no buy the disks yet.

Thanks to you.

I am trying to find the former owners.

Greetings,

Jos

Alfs29

Hi,

Actually i am also a netapp owner from ghetto shop (aka ebay)

My personal expierience is:

1) You will never get anything license/ownership related from NetApp. Just forget it ... you are on your own and possibly independant consultants ... probably second is not an options as i guess. 

2) Controllers without licences can only be used as a decoration. (this does not apply to HDDs and other usefull parts)

3) It is possible to google and find installation images on internet. FAS2040 will run 8.1.4P9 (latest) filename to look for: 814P9_e_image.tgz or .zip (.zip if upgrading from v7.x.x)

If your system is totally dead then you will need to look for netboot image.

4) I would recomment buying FAS2040 (even 1 controller will do) with drives and licences present/available from seller and then make dual controller filer. .... and get spare power supplies.

5) 6x 300GB drives is total BS ....  you will end up with is <900GB usable space if your volumes will be mounted on root aggregate (not recommended).

(1xHS, 2xparity, 3xusable). Go for 8 drives (any size) in head unit and normal 14x450GB 15K FC shelf DS14mk4.

P.S. Btw i have spare FAS2020 (dual controller) 12x 300GB 15K SAS with some licences on it. Maybe you are interested ... if located in Europe shipment is not a problem.

Of course FAS2020 is not a dream machine, but it has drives (you need) and licences you need even more 😉

Public