ONTAP Hardware

Migrate from HDS NAS to Netapp

barrycuda72

I have about 25TB of data (around 20 million files) on a Hitachi NAS, I am looking for an efficient way to migrate this data to a Netapp FAS 2240.

At the end of the migration I need the new Netapp NAS to have the same name as the old HDS, we have way to many spots in code or links that would be broken.

The data is a little of everything consisting of office documents, graphic and video files, etc in a mixed mode of CIFS\NFS volumes. 

My goal would be to perform the cutover on a weekend we would unmount all the unix shares do a final differential copy change DNS and be backup and running.

So any advice?   I have used ROBO copy in the past but it can not handle open files and a restore from backup would take longer than a weekend...

4 REPLIES 4

dburkland

Does your HDS system support ndmp? If so that is one option

Dan

scottgelb

BlueArc had the ability to use other nas storage as a tier (unless you have the older native nas blade or if the ONStor or NetApp OEM they used to sell)...so you could see if that is still supported and have the 2240 in the namespace to migrate data to the netapp...then remove the BlueArc later (with reconfiguring of the 2240 for all settings needed).

I remember trying ndmp from a non-netapp array a few years ago, and ndmpcopy knew it wasn't a netapp source and aborted...but may work depending on ontap version. 

MAHENDRAN1985

Hi Scott,

Would there be any cookbooks/steps which might be helpful to do this?

thank you.

RAJNEESHUBS

HI <Can any one tell me how you go about planing  a NAS migration from NetApp to HNAS,strategy /ways/precautions etc..

Public