ONTAP Hardware

No Disk Shelf Expandability for FAS2020? Not Happy.

behbhelpdesk

2 years ago we proudly purchased a FAS2020. It was a big purchase ~$34k (with licenses) for a small business. We took the time to get trained and have been very happy with it's function.

It has 12 600 GB SAS drives. We are using it for CIFS data and for NFS and iSCSI for 3 VM hosts. We are about to configure off-site SnapMirror for DR.

Now, we need more space to support more CIFS data and want to free up some of the SAS drives by getting 14TB of SATA drives, which I was told I could do when I purchased our FAS2020.

However, we have just been informed that NetApp is no longer selling disk shelfs that can be connected to the FAS2020.

Our options are to purchase a refurbished model with a 1-year 3rd party warranty and put our business-critical data on a device that isn't supported by NetApp (and that won't migrate to a new FAS2220).

Or, purchase a whole new system, a FAS2220 AND get a disk shelf for it.

So, 2 years later we are being asked to re-purchase all the licenses we just paid for two years ago and re-purchase 12 SAS drives just so we could get more storage on our existing device (which is fine for our needs).

Plus the trade-up value of our device is quite low.

I'm pissed. Not cool.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ogra

Hi Scott,

The DS14 Disk Shelves are still available. I don't think you need any exceptions for them.

Are you referring to New system configuration or a Add-On configuration ?

The CPC refers to New System Configuration only. For Add-On you can still order DS14 Disk shelves ( 450GB/600GB) configurations.

Snippet from the CPC you pointed :

Starting in August 2012, the DS14 (MK2/MK4) disk shelves will no longer be available with factory configuration for all new FAS and V-Series storage systems.

DS14 (Fibre Channel only) disk shelves will remain available for purchase as add-on parts for storage expansion until further notice.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ogra

Hi,

Can you please explain "That NetApp is no longer selling disk shelfs that can be connected to FAS2020" ?

What kind of shelf are your exactly referring to ?

Could you provide your requirement here.

Thanks.

scottgelb

End of Availability (EOA) of the DS14 shelves.  I have had a few customers where this has come up on 2020s and also on 3100 systems where there are no free slots to add a SAS HBA.  The timing of being between 2 disk shelf technologies but we have been able to be competitive on getting upgrades and support for ds14s in some cases...definitely worth another call to your NetApp team and see what they can do.

ogra

I agree this is primarily because we are in the middle of shift of drive technology. But not all DS14 are EOA. FC can still be added (though limited options). However, yes SATA is only available via SAS Technology. I understand FC can't be the solution in place of SATA but that's the option once can explore depending upon the storage expansion required. Contacting your local NetApp team will help you understand options.

scottgelb

We had to get exceptions for any DS14s even FC shelves... the EOA links are confusing though but all with end of 2012 last shipment.  Are you able to ship DS14 FC MK4 shelves without an exception?

https://support.netapp.com/info/web/ECMP1110987.html

https://support.netapp.com/info/web/ECMP1110987.html#111109

https://support.netapp.com/info/web/ECMP1110987.html#101107

ogra

Hi Scott,

The DS14 Disk Shelves are still available. I don't think you need any exceptions for them.

Are you referring to New system configuration or a Add-On configuration ?

The CPC refers to New System Configuration only. For Add-On you can still order DS14 Disk shelves ( 450GB/600GB) configurations.

Snippet from the CPC you pointed :

Starting in August 2012, the DS14 (MK2/MK4) disk shelves will no longer be available with factory configuration for all new FAS and V-Series storage systems.

DS14 (Fibre Channel only) disk shelves will remain available for purchase as add-on parts for storage expansion until further notice.

I hope this helps!

behbhelpdesk

I hear that DS14 shelves are available, but it doesn't sound from what you are saying that shelves with SATA drives are available (DS14MK2-AT)?

Will there be a add-in card to a 2220 that will support a DS14 or DS14MK2-AT?

Otherwise the purchase of these shelves is also rendered a poor investment even if they are available, am I understanding this correctly?

ogra

Hi,

Unfortunately, FAS2220 doesn't have support for DS14 since they don't have any FC ports.

In case you wish to look at retaining existing controllers you may go to FAS2240 controllers where you can go ahead and connect your older DS14 shelves.

I'll not advocate to purchase DS14 shelves since they are going EOA in short term. SAS shelves is the technology we have to embrace and should invest into.

Cheers!

behbhelpdesk

Bakshana,

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, we are looking for more affordable slower 7200 RPM storage for CIFS data. The SAS performance/cost is a bit over kill for our terabytes of PDF, Word and TIFF documents.

However, it sounds like a 2240 does support any model of DS14 shelf I get as they have FC. Is this correct?

So, if I end up getting a DS14mk2-AT (or two of them) right now, when I'm ready to upgrade, I can get a 2240 and continue my investment in those shelves?

- Elan

ogra

Hi,

Apologies I was traveling and couldn't hook up for reply on this.

Yes 2240 has FC ports for connecting to the DS14 shelf.

"So, if I end up getting a DS14mk2-AT (or two of them) right now, when I'm ready to upgrade, I can get a 2240 and continue my investment in those shelves? " Correct. You will be able to simply reconnect it to FAS2240 controller.

Let me know if you have any other issues.

Cheers!

@bakshana

Public