ONTAP Hardware

Performance issue on 3240 HA 7mode

larryblanco

I have a ticket open with Netapp but wanted to get feedback on what is to be expected performance.

We recently spent some bucks on getting a SSD shelf with 24x 200GB SSD's for our 3240 pair.  The SSD are the Samsung eMLC ones. We're running 8.1.2p3

We can't seem to get any real performance out of them.

Iops wise, we are only able to max out at about 35-40K.  I would of expected at least 80K+

I'm using IOMETER with: 4K transfer - 100% Random distribution - 100% Read - 4K aligned IO

Then trying to tranfer 16MB chunks we get about 380MB/s transfer rates.  22-23 iops.  I would of expected a bit more.  atleast 600MB writing to the rg.

it's a 23 disk RG running raid DP.

The box uses iscsi and NFS.   In this instance, I am accessign the disks via a VMWare VM using the MS initiator.   I've tried RDM's, and NFS.   RDM performance is pretty par with and MS initiator within the VM..

NFS suffers from even worse performance.

The network is 10Gb.  Inside the esxi boxes i have the Intel x520DA nic and Cisco Nexus 5548 switches conenction the boxes to the filers.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.   So far, after sending in some perfstats, NetApp tech support has stated that they don't see anything out of the ordinary.

I say there isn't anything out of the ordinary.  It just that we are not seeing the performance we should see out of the disks.

Again, any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rmatsumoto

That bottom sysstat -M 2 output and some of the output in the middle suggest to me that the task is CPU-bound, which is consistent with how our FAS32xx perform in our environment.  When you say that the aggr is a 23-disk RG, is it a regular aggr with nothing but SSDs, or is it a flashpool aggr?  Either way, the delay is somewhere beyond your disks, based on what you posted.  Right now I'd lean towards the head itself(at least for some of those tests). 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Public