Subscribe

Replace faulty/broken disk in NetApp

[ Edited ]

Hi,

We have NetAppModel V3140 and OnTap version 8.1.3.7- mode.

Recently we had failed/broken disk so I have replaced the broken disk with new disk. Existing disk was 15K and 450GB however, I replaced the new one with 15K with 600GB. We don't ahve support maaintenance with NeApp so I bought disk from one of our vendor.

I am new to NetApp so don't know excet proces to replace faulty/broken disk. All I did is removed faulty diska nd inserted new one. If I am not wrong the new disk shoud be configured as spare one however, Now OnCommand disk status for new disk is still showing Broken. If I run the command aggr status -f it's not reporing any broken disks.

Please find attached screen shot for the disk status, disk ID ( 3d.13.10) this is the new disk I replaced with faulty disk. It' stus is showing as broken and also firmware version is different than the existing disk. I thought when you replace the disk it should automatically configured as spare one but it's not. Could you please advsie why new disk status is showing as broken and not spare?

Thanks

Re: Replace faulty/broken disk in NetApp

can you run a "disk show -n" on the filer? the disk may need to be assigned first.

yes, I did ran the command disk show -n and it shown no disk match option -n

Yes, I ran the command disk show -n, it sayd no disks match option -n

As this new disk is not from NetAPP it's firmware is also on different version than teh existing disks, so that could be teh issue it's not configuring as spare? please check attached screen shot for the firmware version on the new disk as wella s existing disks. new disk id is 3d.13.10

You can't use third-party disk, it is not supported. Disk should be from NetApp with NetApp firmware.

can you provide the sysconfig information for that disk?

as noted, if the disk doesn't have a netapp label, it won't be recognized or used in the filer.

Hi,

I have logged onto one controller SSH and ran below commnand, attahed is the output. FYI, we ahve two controller configured in HA. Please check attached file forsysconfig -r outlput.

Can you give the output of a sysconfig -a -> just the disk information on adapter 3d would be good. This will list the type of disk.

I did SSH to controller1 and controller 2, ran commands sysconfig -a and sysconfig -d on both controllers, please find attached file for output.I will post them into another reply as I can't attach more than one file here at a time

attaching syconfig -a on controller 1