ONTAP Hardware

Snapmirror - how can I scheduele bandwidth throttling?

michaelll

It would be very useful if I could tell snapmirror to use 100% of bandwidth say after 8pm, and drop back down to 50% at 7am.  Does Netapp offer any tools that can assist with this, or is it possible to overwtire the snapmirror.conf file with say a cron job?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shaunjurr

Hi,

There are a couple of bigger switches so you can avoid having to mangle the entire snapmirror.conf file:

options replication.throttle.enable=off
options replication.throttle.incoming.max_kbs=unlimited
options replication.throttle.outgoing.max_kbs=unlimited

... are the defaults.  Just write a cronjob to change the throttles during your "after office" hours and again before "office hours" start in the morning..  Enable it first, of course.

The other option is the pricey "Protection Manager" software from NetApp.  It does a lot more than throttling, of course.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shaunjurr

Hi,

There are a couple of bigger switches so you can avoid having to mangle the entire snapmirror.conf file:

options replication.throttle.enable=off
options replication.throttle.incoming.max_kbs=unlimited
options replication.throttle.outgoing.max_kbs=unlimited

... are the defaults.  Just write a cronjob to change the throttles during your "after office" hours and again before "office hours" start in the morning..  Enable it first, of course.

The other option is the pricey "Protection Manager" software from NetApp.  It does a lot more than throttling, of course.

scottgelb

The good news with the 3200 and 6200 controllers is that Operations Manager, Protection Manager, and Provisioning Manager are all included now in the base Essentials bundle...along with MultiStore and other licenses too that used to be more pricey.  Although nothing is free so built-in somewhere, but at least included on base systems now with no extra line item.

michaelll

I have DFM installed with the protection manager option licensed, but I did not a way to change the bandwidth setting other than manually.  Would you know what section of the manual would referrence this?  Thanks for the help.

scottgelb

It is part of the data protection policy.. you have to define a throttle schedule in the NMC … policies à Protection à Schedules … Depending on what you are trying to do, setting controller wide in the FAS options may make more sense though which was already recommended.

michaelll

Thanks, not sure if I need to start a new thread, but any tips on getting RSH to not prompt for a password?  I have the ubuntu host listed in hosts.equiv, and I am logged in as root, all using IP, so no dns issues.

My protection manager seems sporatic on the throttle setting, it worked yesterday afternoon, but isn't working today.

michaelll

Resolved this, Ubuntu 10 defaults rsh to SSH, so I had to install the rsh-client package on my client and it worked as expected.

shaunjurr

Hi,

You should be able to use ssh too if you put your public key in /vol/vol0/etc/sshd/root/.ssh/authorized_keys2 . 

You'll need to have 'options ssh.pubkey_auth.enable on" set as well...

Public