ONTAP Hardware

Understanding aggregate and lun

rodrigo_passos

Hi

What is aggreggate and Lun concepts?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ken_foster

the underlying filesystem is always WAFL in the volume.

when you share out a volume it looks like NTFS to a windows box, or it looks like a UNIX filesystem to a unix box but in the end its just WAFL in the volume.

with a LUN its a bit different.

you first make a volume, then you put a LUN in the volume.  the volume has WAFL as the file system, the LUN looks like one big file in the volume.

you then connect to the storage system using a SAN protocol.  the big file we call a LUN is attached to the host via the SAN protocol and looks like a big hard drive.  the host then formats the hard drive with NTFS or whatever File system the unix box is using.  That file system is actually NTFS, or whatever.  its inside the LUN, which is big file inside of a Volume, which has WAFL as its file system.

hope that makes sense.

and also I have two other recommendations.  Netapp and Fastlane have a few free Flash self paced training videos you can watch.  Netapp also has a youtube channel that has some cool stuff on it.  and I will also suggest that you may want to take a few training classes.  Most of this thread is covered in the Data Ontap fundamentals class and the SAN classes.

In the interest of Full Disclosure, I am a contract instructor for Fastlane.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
Public