ONTAP Hardware

Updating diags only without updating BIOS?

akw_white

Hi all

If I had a FAS2050 with BIOS v3.0 and Diagnostics v5.4.6 and I wanted to update it to Diagnostics 5.6.1 how would I go about doing this? update_flash does not appear to affect the Diagnostics component.

Thanks

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

copy file into /etc/software

use “software install 30801834.zip”

Or http://... if file is available via HTTP server

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

aborzenkov

Diagnostic is installed on boot media when you run “download” or “download -d”. There is no need to “flash” it.

I do not think it is possible to install diagnostic separately today; it is single package with firmware and diags.

akw_white

Thanks aborzenkov. I copied the service image file to /etc/firmware, ran download -d and rebooted (using cf takover) but version -b still shows v5.4.6. Am I missing something?

aborzenkov

Well … suppoted way is to perform “software install” first. That is why I said that currently there does not seem to exist any way to install diags separately – it is always part of BIOS+diags package and both get installed when you run “software install”.

akw_white

What syntax should I use for software install in this case? The service image file I have copied is 30801834.zip

Thanks

aborzenkov

copy file into /etc/software

use “software install 30801834.zip”

Or http://... if file is available via HTTP server

akw_white

Finally managed to get this to work... interesting bit is the result of running software update...

toaster> software update 30801834.zip -d

software: You can cancel this operation by hitting Ctrl-C in the next 6 seconds.

software: Depending on system load, it may take many minutes

software: to complete this operation. Until it finishes, you will

software: not be able to use the console.

software: installing software, this could take a few minutes...

software: Data ONTAP(R) Package Manager Verifier 1

software: Software package with no NPM Metadata

Downgrade Data ONTAP(R) (Y/N)? n

software: installation of 30801834.zip was not successful.

After running the above and answering "n" to the downgrade prompt I could see that the files in /etc/boot had been updated so I proceeded to run

toaster> priv set advanced

Warning: These advanced commands are potentially dangerous; use

them only when directed to do so by

personnel.

toaster> download -d

Which finally resulted in

1:/x86_elf/diag/diag.krn:  5.6.1

Thanks for your help with this AB.

aborzenkov

You just had to do "software install" instead of "software update". "software install" only "unpacks" bundle without trying to perform any post-processing.

Public