ONTAP Hardware

Upgrade ESH Modules on DSMK14 for OnTap 8.x upgrade

JLundfelt

can anyone refer me to any documents re:Upgrading ESH Modules on DSMK14 for OnTap 8.x upgrade? I am looking to potentially buy used modules off of ebay, and dont know if they need to be configured for my system, or if i can just swap them out one at a time for a NDU, or if I need to shut down the system entirely (single FAS3140 controller)

thanks,

jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bbjholcomb

You should check MPHA before making changes, storage show disk -p, make sure the primary and secondary are on different paths. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

bbjholcomb

You can buy them from Zerowait. If you have multipath setup you can do one module at time without downtime.

JLundfelt

OK, cool. So just to confirm, they are passive in term of configuration, and not something that need to be configured for the particular controller, or shelf (e,g, ShelfID, etc.)

pascalduk

I doubt it is worth the money and effort.

* The DS14MK2 shelf is End of Hardware support in June 2013 anyway, even if you use ESH4 modules.

* If you don't care about NetApp official support you can still use ESH2 modules with ONTAP 8.1. It will still technically work and ONTAP does not even report the presence of ESH2 as an issue. We ran ESH2 with ONTAP 8.1.0 for a short period of time without any issues, see next point.

* If you care about support and you just need the ESH4 for a short period of time to decommission the DS14MK2 shelves, you might consider requesting a PVR with NetApp for running your system temporarily with ESH2 and ONTAP 8.1.

bbjholcomb

You should check MPHA before making changes, storage show disk -p, make sure the primary and secondary are on different paths. 

bbjholcomb

I checked with our SAM at NetApp, there are no date for EOS on MK2 disk shelves.

aborzenkov

MK2 shelves end of support is June this year. I just had to check yesterday.

joezoda

I just did the ESH2 to ESH4 swap as well, one module at a time So far looking good !!!!!

Public