ONTAP Hardware

Why is total space size on aggr between controllers are different with same amount of disks?

peter1965

Hi

I was creating aggr on my v6210 with 2TB netapp disk. On one controller I created a aggr with 40 disks in a 20 disk raid group.

I did the exact same thing on the other controller and notice the "total space" is different. How can this be? The only thing I can think of is when I initially created an aggr on this controller  with a different raid group I went in destroyed it and recreated it to make what I had mentioned above.. Soemthing not "zero" out correctly?

See attached screen shot and how do I go about resolving that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

isaacs

Heh, On second thought, take a look at "snap reserve -A".  I'll bet the Aggr Snap Reserve is 0 on the original, and the 5% default on the new.

"snap reserve -A netapp_aggr2 0"  will set it to zero, and you should see the space.

We're thankfully doing away with that default, and this shouldn't be a needed step going forward.  It's only required for SyncMirror/MetroCluster. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

please show output of "aggr show_space" from both filers

isaacs

It's possible the RAID Group sizes are different, and result in 2 fewer data disks.  "aggr status -r" output should confirm/deny that.

isaacs

Heh, On second thought, take a look at "snap reserve -A".  I'll bet the Aggr Snap Reserve is 0 on the original, and the 5% default on the new.

"snap reserve -A netapp_aggr2 0"  will set it to zero, and you should see the space.

We're thankfully doing away with that default, and this shouldn't be a needed step going forward.  It's only required for SyncMirror/MetroCluster. 

peter1965

Argh! That was it!! Sticking head in sand as I knew I put that in my script but there was a typo.. Sigh I should of caught that. That what I get for administering filers in what I call hybrid mode (the cli and the sys manager 2.0)

thanks

Public