ONTAP Hardware

need to reset new system

buckm2106

Morning all,

We've just received a new 2240-2 system with 24 600GB 10K SAS drives, The 2 controllers were configed with 12 disks each all on Aggr0, the thinking being to maximise the available disk space to us, however our Manger now wants all available disks to be on 1 of the controllers and then just have the other one as a failover.  I've told him that disk space will be reduced a bit cos each Aggregate needs 3 disks between parity and a spare.

Question being I know that you cannot just remove disks from a controller, to add it to another, but if I do a option 4 on the startup boot menu, does that reset the whole controller?  Do I then need to re-install ONTap or does ontap remain on the system to be re-setup?

Thanks

Mike

8 REPLIES 8

martin_fisher

Hi Mike - ONTAP wil remain on the onboard compact flash/boot memory, which generally has an image on from the factory. You would then have to go through the setup process for the NetApp Filer, create the new aggr's, IP's etc and if required update ONTAP to the required version.

Cheers

Martin

buckm2106

Great, Thanks Martin!

spence

After you perform a system wipe using option 4 from the maint menu you most definitely need to reinstall ONTAP.  Yes the boot media has enough to get the system up and operational, but it is not everything, so download the same version or greater of ONTAP and go through the process to install\upgrade ONTAP using the product documentation.

Now once you get that done, the head you want to use as just failover, you can change the raid type for aggr0 to RAID4, zero the removed disk and reassign it to the head you want to keep up and add it to that aggr.

billshaffer

You don't have to reinstall the system if you don't have any other reason to beside reassigning disk.  Fail a couple of drives on your to-be-failover controller, add them as spares, create a new aggr (raid4), move vol0 over, then remove the old aggr0 and reassign drives to the other controller.

Bill

HENRYPAN2

GM Bill/Mike,

You may wish to use RAID-DP instead of RAID-4.

The old RAID-4 had cost me dearly with lost data.

Good luck & Good w/e

Henry

billshaffer

Henry:

You've seen a double disk failure?  Sorry man, I have nightmares about that.  Were you running RAID4 with a spare, and the 2nd drive failed before the 1st could be spared out?  Or were you running without a spare?

Mike - if you decide you want to use RAID-DP, you could do as I suggested as an interim step, keep 4 drives (1D+2P+1spare) on the failover system, move vol0 again to a new RAID-DP aggr with these drives, and reassign the others.  My point is that, unless you really want to, you shouldn't need to mess around with resetting and reinstalling ONTAP.

Bill

HENRYPAN2

Yes Bill,

The 2nd drive failure while the 1st recovery still in progress.....

Be well

Henry

buckm2106

Thanks Guys,

Lucikly the system is not is production yet and has no data on it, So i afford to blat the system and start again from scratch!

Mike

Public