FlexPod Discussions

Cisco UCS and NetApp MetroCluster

radek_kubka

Hi all,

Anyone with any thoughts re this:

• Dual site setup with NetApp Fabric MetroCluster (two storage controllers stretched over fiber links)
  • Two Nexus 5000 switches at each site, so we have two FC fabrics, stretching both sites (as required for MetroCluster)
  • To be introduced: UCS with dual Fabric Interconnect Modules at *each* site

Are there any references or documentation describing this? I have a slight concern that we will have UCS FIC modules across two sites on the same FC fabric (A & B respectively) & I’m not 100% sure they will behave nicely.

Thanks,

Radek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

klem

Radek,

We have been testing many different configurations in our labs involving MetroCluster within FlexPod, and the configuration you describe is essentially the version we have settled on to validate and release over the next few months.

We'll leverage MetroCluster across the dual sites for redundancy and failover, as well as 2 pairs of FIs for the server components, one pair at each site. The only major change from what you describe is that we are validating the Nexus 7K for the networking components so we can use OTV for the seamless migration of VMs and to support multiple failover scenarios. The Nexus 5K will be 100% supported and discussed in the CVD, but our main validation will focus on the N7K because of these additional features.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dave

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Public