3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
can somebody please answer those questions:
- is it possible to replicate from FAS to AltaVault with SnapVault (2 of our cluster that just SnapVault and no SnapMirror license)
- can I use SnapCenter (in combination with VSC) to replicate my VMware backups directly to AltaVault?
- is it true that direct replication from on-prem FAS to AltaVault Cloud (Azure or AWS) is not supported? (We don't want to buy on-prem AltaVaults)
2 weeks ago
Here are the answers:
1. The requirements from a licensing perspective are documented in the Data Fabric Solution for Cloud Backup Workflow guide, which describe the licensing requirements for ONTAP. Having a SnapVault license is fine, assuming you have ONTAP 9.1.
2. SnapCenter supports only NAS workloads to AltaVault today. VM and database workloads are coming in future releases.
3. That is correct . You do not want to replicate snapshots to cloud AltaVault over the WAN without encryption, which is not performed during the Snapshot replication.
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
thanks for the update!
Regarding 3) I fully agree that it makes the most sense to compact, encrypt etc. on-prem before sending it out. Also having the encryp. keys on-prem is a big plus.
However if somebody would insist on doing it anyway (repl. direct from on-prem FAS to AltaVault Cloud), would it work and would it be supported?
2 weeks ago
It would work, but probably wouldn't be supported as a viable use case due to the risks involved with the data being out in the clear, as well as the data transmission costs of data not being storage optimized prior to transfer over a WAN.