Passionate NetApp Employees Announce the 5th Annual DC Metro Event in Support of St. Baldrick’s

From the moment we step out of bed in the morning until the moment we go to bed at night, we often get distracted by action items, steps, and cycles that need to take place.  Much of our days are focused on checking off our “to do” lists but we are much more than our “to do” lists.

We are defined by how we give back to those from whom we expect nothing in return. At NetApp, I am continually impressed by how the company and employees live beyond their “to do” lists and strive to affect positive change through philanthropic efforts.

During this time every year, NetApp focuses philanthropic efforts on cancer awareness, prevention and treatment. Passionate employees choose to support St.Baldrick’s and many other non-profit organizations that fight cancer, including the American Cancer Society, Gastric Cancer Fund, and CancerCarePoint.

The St.Baldrick’s Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives.

Did you know that worldwide, a child is diagnosed with cancer every three minutes? Astonishing facts like this shock me and inspire me to help. That’s where St. Baldrick’s events come in.

St. Baldrick’s empowers volunteers to host head-shaving events. Volunteer “shavees” sign up to get their head shaved and raise money from friends and family like you would for a walk-a-thon. The funds raised are donated to St.Baldrick’s because they direct every single dollar possible to carefully selected research grants.

I am pleased to announce that once again, passionate employee volunteers are making the 5th annual DC Metro St.Baldrick’s event possible. Our primary focus is to have the greatest impact on childhood cancer worldwide while having fun!

Every year there are moments in which the meaning of St. Baldrick’s slaps me in the face. I want to share a few that I’m most proud of:

• Number of childhood research grants made possible thanks to the generous donations from NetApp employee volunteers, their friends and families – over $5 million has been donated since 2007.
  • Number of people who have shared their personal battles with cancer. It is unfortunate but there are a lot of them. 
  • Countless families our volunteer efforts have positively impacted through the years. 
  • When women volunteer to face the razor, and shave their heads.
  • Watching volunteers set up the event, participate, and break everything down just to drive over an hour back home. No matter the distance, people come together for this worthy cause; it is something special. 

I challenge you to step back from your “to do” list and do something that you’re passionate about. #NetAppCulture

Adam Mellor, Sales Representative, NetApp U.S. Public Sector