Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Change ip Address of a vfiler and remove the old ip address

INWORKLST

Dear Community

I am using powershell, to automate the cifs migration from a physical server to a vfiler.

During the migration I assigne the vfiler a temporary ip addresse, to set the vfiler in producation, I have to change the ip addresse of the vfiler to the ip address of the old server.

With the Set-NaVfilerAddress -Name vfiler -AddAddresses x.x.x.x I can set the new ip address but when I wan't to remove the old ip addresse with Set-NaVfilerAddress -Name vfiler -RemoveAddresses x.x.x.x I get the error that the old ip addresse is still configured.

Set-NaVfilerAddress : Operation not allowed as IP address is configured

On Line:1 Charecter:20

+ Set-NaVfilerAddress <<<<  -Name "filer1" -RemoveAddress 10.101.1.42 -Controller $filer_source_connection

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (netappsrv1-test:NaController) [Set-NaVfilerAddress], EVFILEROPNOTALLO

WED

I know when I execute setup command in vfiler context I can unconfigure the old ipaddresse, but this only works in interactive mode not in none interactive.

Is there a Cmdlets which solve my problem? Or an other none interactive way?

1 REPLY 1

beam

Here's the process I use for removing a configured vfiler IP address:

First we add and configure the new address using Set-NaVfilerAddress:

PS C:\PowerShell> Set-NaVfilerAddress lemon -AddAddresses 192.168.0.200 -Interface ns0 -Netmask 255.255.255.0

Name                      Status         Ipspace              VfnetCount VfstoreCount AdminHost

----                      ------         -------              ---------- ------------ ---------

lemon                     running        default-ipspace               2            1

PS C:\PowerShell> Get-NaVfiler lemon | select -ExpandProperty vfnets

Interface                               Ipaddress                               Netmask

---------                               ---------                               -------

ns0                                     192.168.0.117                           255.255.255.0

ns0                                     192.168.0.200                           255.255.255.0

The address 192.168.0.117 is the one we want to remove.  First, we need to unconfigure it.  This can be accomplished by removing the alias from the interface the address is bound to:

PS C:\PowerShell> Get-NaNetInterface ns0 | select Interface, Aliases

Interface                                                   Aliases

---------                                                   -------

ns0                                                         {192.168.0.201, 192.168.0.117, 192.168.0.200}

PS C:\PowerShell> Set-NaNetInterface ns0 -RemoveAlias 192.168.0.117

Interface            Ipspace               Enabled   PrimaryAddresses

---------            -------               -------   ----------------

ns0                  default-ipspace         True    192.168.0.102

Now that we've done this, we can use Set-NaVfilerAddress -RemoveAddresses:

PS C:\PowerShell> Get-NaVfiler lemon | select -ExpandProperty vfnets

Interface                               Ipaddress                               Netmask

---------                               ---------                               -------

ns0                                     192.168.0.200                           255.255.255.0

PS C:\PowerShell> Set-NaVfilerAddress lemon -RemoveAddresses 192.168.0.117

Name                      Status         Ipspace              VfnetCount VfstoreCount AdminHost

----                      ------         -------              ---------- ------------ ---------

lemon                     running        default-ipspace               1            1

PS C:\PowerShell> get-navfiler lemon | select -ExpandProperty vfnets

Now we are left with the address we wanted.

I hope that helps!

-Steven

Public