Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

ConvertTo-NcVhd not working

jeromerichard

Hi,

we are realigning all our VHD from a HyperV R2 cluster. 6 Windows 2008 r2 cluster farm connected to 6 NetApp Luns and using CSV.

Our NetApp system consist of 4 2240 installed with Data Ontap cluster mode 8.1.2

I succeed into connecting to the Cluster using this powershell command :

$vserver=Connect-NcController myNetappcluster -Credential admin -Vserver myVserver

I succeed into seeing if VHD is aligned or not using this command :

Get-NcVirtualDiskAlignment C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\fixed_c.vhd

I succeed into realigning the VHD using this command :

Repair-NcVirtualDiskAlignment -VirtualDisk C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\fixed_c.vhd -Controller $vserver

But i DONT succeed using powershell to convert Dynamic VHD into Fixed VHD using this command :

ConvertTo-NcVhd -SourceVhd C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\dynamic_c.vhd -DestinationVhd C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\fixed_c.vhd -Controller $vserver

I've got an error message :

ConvertTo-NaVhd : Source and destination files must reside on the same controller.

Au niveau de ligne : 1 Caractère : 16

+ ConvertTo-NcVhd <<<<  -DestinationVhd "C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\fixed_c.vhd" -SourceVhd "C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\dynamic_c.vhd" -ForceHostCopy

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [ConvertTo-NaVhd], ArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Could not set up sis clone operation,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.HyperV.ConvertToNaVhd

I tried many other parameters, resulting the same result.

I forgot : we are using Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit, version 3.0.1.101

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeromerichard

OK, i finally sorted out my case with the help of Beam in private messages.

In fact, since my hypervisor cluster farm doesnt have access to the Netapp Cluster Management interface, but only to iSCSI LIFs i use a Linux machine as a "gateway" with SOCAT

The problem was that when i made the following :

$vserver=Connect-NcController mycluster -Credential admin -Vserver myvserver

the $vserver.Address was an IP address going to the gateway and not the IP Address of the real vServer or Netapp Cluster

so, setting $verver.Address='my Netapp Cluster management IP' made the ConvertTo-NcVhd cmdlet to work fine.

I think Beam is looking to modify the cmdlet for next version for taking care of that.

The main goal was to realign all my VHDs, so my final script may look like that (for information)

# connect

$verver.Address='my Netapp Cluster management IP'

# convert to fixed

ConvertTo-NcVhd -SourceVhd C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\dynamic_c.vhd -DestinationVhd C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\fixed_c.vhd -Controller $vserver

# eventually resize
# Set-NcVirtualDiskSize C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\fixed_c.vhd 50g

# fix alignment

Repair-NcVirtualDiskAlignment -VirtualDisk C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\fixed_c.vhd -Controller $vserver

# dont forget to delete the fixed_c.bkup file if the VM is working

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jeromerichard

Hi, so nobody ?

ps : using the latest toolkit.

jeromerichard

OK, i finally sorted out my case with the help of Beam in private messages.

In fact, since my hypervisor cluster farm doesnt have access to the Netapp Cluster Management interface, but only to iSCSI LIFs i use a Linux machine as a "gateway" with SOCAT

The problem was that when i made the following :

the $vserver.Address was an IP address going to the gateway and not the IP Address of the real vServer or Netapp Cluster

so, setting $verver.Address='my Netapp Cluster management IP' made the ConvertTo-NcVhd cmdlet to work fine.

I think Beam is looking to modify the cmdlet for next version for taking care of that.

The main goal was to realign all my VHDs, so my final script may look like that (for information)

# connect

$verver.Address='my Netapp Cluster management IP'

# convert to fixed

# eventually resize
# Set-NcVirtualDiskSize C:\ClusterStorage\VolumeX\MyVM\fixed_c.vhd 50g

# fix alignment

# dont forget to delete the fixed_c.bkup file if the VM is working

Public