Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit 3.2

rajeshr

Hi PowerShell community,

Glad to announce availability of Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit Version 3.2.

The Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit can be downloaded from the NetApp support site: http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/powershell_toolkit/

Thanks

Rajesh.R

Version 3.2 release notes:

Major features

• Data ONTAP 8.3 API support

Toolkit 3.2 includes API coverage for Data ONTAP 8.3.  This includes 126 new cmdlets and 31 cmdlets with new parameters. There are several categories introduced in Data ONTAP 8.3 and Toolkit 3.2 introduces two of them, namely MetroCluster and Storage Pool.

The following clustered Data ONTAP categories contain new cmdlets:

• aggr (16 cmdlets)
  • cifs (13 cmdlets)
  • metrocluster (new category - 26 cmdlets)
  • net (48 cmdlets)
    • ipspace (4 cmdlets)
    • firewall (10 cmdlets)
    • failover group (4 cmdlets)
    • subnet (5 cmdlets)
    • port broadcast domain (7 cmdlets)
    • route (4 cmdlets)
    • arp (5 cmdlets)
    • ndp (9 cmdlets)
  • storage pool (new category - 8 cmdlets)
  • snapmirror (1 cmdlets)
  • vserver (7 cmdlets)

Enhancements

• Get-NaDiskwill use storage-disk-get-iter when available.
  • ConvertTo-NaVhdx will create a fully-allocated dynamic VHDX instead of a fixed-size VHDX.
  • Invoke-NcSysstat now works with Data ONTAP 8.3
  • Fibre channel port information has been added to the output of Get-NaHostFcAdapter.

Fixes

• ConvertTo-NaVmdk could fail when connecting to a vserver management LIF that is also a CIFS data LIF and a network name was used.
  • ConvertTo-NaVmdk could fail when connecting to a vserver by name when DNS round robin is used.
  • Set-NcTime would fail for Data ONTAP 8.2 and higher.
  • Reset-NcCifsPassword did not have a default parameter set.
  • Get-NaVol could fail in the vfiler context.

Docs

Check out "Making the Most of Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit" for more details on the new features.  If you're new to PowerShell or the Toolkit, you might want to start with our "Getting Started" slides

33 REPLIES 33

udo_braunschweiger

Hello PSTK Community

where can i post Feedback to the actual Release 3.2.1 of the PSTK??

as an example:

a) i try to create a cifs share with share-property "Continuously Available", it seems the is not possible with PSTK, but is supported in OnTAP API

b) I likt to use the 8.3 new Failover-Policy with a new created network interface failover-policy can be "broadcast-domain-wide" or "sfo-partner-only"

These options or properties i do not find in the PowerShell ToolKit

Aparajita

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would suggest using this http://community.netapp.com/t5/Microsoft-Cloud-and-Virtualization-Discussions/Data-ONTAP-PowerShell-Toolkit-3-2-1/m-p/100910#M4160 for posting feedback regarding the 3.2.1 release. We do not have a separate thread monitored for feedback, but the usual practice is to provide feedback in the thread where release was announced.

Also please specify the share property as "continuously_available" instead of "Continuously Available" (example given below). Regarding the network interface issue, could you please provide more details? Like do you wish to set the failover policy while creating a new network interface  (using New-NcNetInterface) or are you attempting to modify an existing lif (using Set-NcNetInterface)?

PS C:\Users\aparajir\Perforce\aparajir_BTC_pstk_3\main> Add-NcCifsShare -Name cifsvol1 -Path /cifs_vol -VserverContext cifs_vs -ShareProperties "continuously_available"

CifsServer                ShareName       Path                   Comment
----------                   -------                 ----                    -------
PSTK-FILER              cifsvol1            /cifs_vol

PS C:\Users\aparajir\Perforce\aparajir_BTC_pstk_3\main> Get-NcCifsShare cifsvol1 -VserverContext cifs_vs | select *

NcController                    : 10.225.183.84
Vserver                         : cifs_vs
Acl                             : {Everyone / Full Control}
AttributeCacheTtl               :
CifsServer                      : PSTK-FILER
Comment                         :
DirUmask                        :
FileUmask                       :
ForceGroupForCreate             :
MaxConnectionsPerShare          : 4294967295
OfflineFilesMode                : manual
Path                            : /cifs_vol
ShareName                       : cifsvol1
ShareProperties                 : {continuously_available}
SymlinkProperties               : {enable}
Volume                          : cifs_vol
VscanFileopProfile              : standard
AttributeCacheTtlSpecified      : False
DirUmaskSpecified               : False
FileUmaskSpecified              : False
MaxConnectionsPerShareSpecified : True

Hope this helps!

udo_braunschweiger

Hello And thanks for the help

so it looks like the creation of a cifs share with -Share-Properties "continuously_available" does work?

Then it is just not documented in the help

yes, i try to create a new lif and would like to give the failover-policy either "sfo-partner-only" or "broadcast-domain-wide"

New-NcNetInterface nl_"$SMBv3_bkp_vserver_svm_name"_ha01_n1 -Vserver "$SMBv3_bkp_vserver_svm_name" -Role data -DataProtocols cifs -Node "$nodename_ha01_n1" -Port "$SMBv3_sto_portname" -Address "$SMBv3_bkp_data_lif_ha01_n1" -Netmask "$SMBv3_sto_netmask" -AutoRevert 1 -FailoverGroup "$SMBv3_sto_bdcst_domain" -AdministrativeStatus up

So thank you, it seems to work, but i did not find it in the help files.....

Thanks for your help!

rajeshr

Hello, yeah - the help isn't updated with all the values possible here. We've made a note to set this right.

As a general rule, if you have hyphenated strings that can be provided in cluster shell, then the same will be replaced by a string with underscore characters (instead of hyphen).

So in your case, you could augment the cmdlet with -FailoverPolicy "sfo_partner_only" or with -FailoverPolicy "broadcast_domain_wide".

Also, feel free to create a new discussion thread, possibly with the cmdlet name as title to seek attention or help. That way, it becomes easy for newer people to be able to search and get their queries answered. Thanks once again for bringing this to our notice. Appreciate it.

dgwhitecalgary

I am having an issue with the Add-NcNetFailoverGroupTarget command. It seems to have a mandatory value of -vserver. Is it possible to add to a fialover group that is cluster wide?

You can see here that none of my FG's have a vserver specified:

4-16-2015 2-02-54 PM.jpg

When I go to add a target, it requires a value for vserver:

4-16-2015 2-04-41 PM.jpg

Using the pipeline results in an error as well:

4-16-2015 2-08-09 PM.jpg

Any ideas how to get this to work? I can use the cluster shell, but I am looking for a pure pwershell solution. I am using NetApp Release 8.2.3P2 Cluster-Mode.

Thx,

Dan

AnthonySSL

Anyone know where I can get this version of the Powersehll Toolkit? dot.PNG

Aparajita

Is there any reason you are looking for an older version of the toolkit? We always recommend using the latest version and only the latest version (3.2.1) is available for download.

Thanks,

Aparajita

Aparajita

We strongly recommend using only the latest version of the Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit. Only the latest version - 3.2.1 - is available for public download.

Is there any reason you are looking for this particular version?

Aparajita

Hi Dan,

This is a cmdlet introduced for use only on Data ONTAP 8.3 and above.

In 8.3, every failover group belongs to a vserver - the cluster wide ones simply belong to the cluster vserver (output from Get-NcNetFailoverGroup below). That is why Add-NcNetFailoverTargets makes vserver a mandatory parameter.

I do not have a 8.2.3 system handy right now, but I did verify that addition of failover targets was not supported in 8.2.1. But, if 8.2.3 does support the `network interface failover-groups add-targets` command and does not require the vserver parameter, you can work around this cmdlet by passing the cluster shell command as parameter to the Invoke-NcSystemApi cmdlet.

Output from Get-NcNetFailoverGroup on a system running Data ONTAP 8.3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS C:\Users\aparajir\Perforce\aparajir_BTC_pstk_1\main> Get-NcNetFailoverGroup

FailoverGroup              Vserver                    Target
-------------                   -------                       ------
Cluster                        Cluster                     {aparajir-vsim1:e0a, aparajir-vsim1:e0b, aparajir-vsim2:e0a, a...
clusterwide                 aparajircluster-1       aparajir-vsim2:e0d
Default                       aparajircluster-1       {aparajir-vsim1:e0c, aparajir-vsim1:e0d, aparajir-vsim2:e0c, a...
test_group                 pstk_peer                 {aparajir-vsim1:e0c, aparajir-vsim2:e0d}

Regards,

Aparajita

dgwhitecalgary

Hi Aparajita,

It looks like 'network interface failover-groups add-targets' is not supported in 8.2.3 either. I will use the old way 'network interface failover-groups create'.

Thx,

Dan

udo_braunschweiger

Hello all

i am using the actual version of the power shell toolkit 3.2.1.68

i just see that the manual pages are incomplete and sometimes even wrong.

So i can set failover-policy and the other options, i was missing, but its not listed in the full help for the command

another command had a complete wrong help content (unfortunately i dont find it anymore), where can these things be reported to?

This would help to make the PSTK an even better and easy to use Tool.

Thank for the help!!

Aparajita

Hi,

We do not have a separate bug reporting thread, but you can either start a new topic or reply to this thread or send a private message to me or rajeshr.

Thank you for helping make Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit better.

- Aparajita

Filimonov

Get-NaShelf does not seem return AT-FCX shelves.

Can anyone else confirm? Is this a bug?

I am using version 3.2.1

Public