Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Error: Set-NcNetPort and changing the FlowControl only works when link is up

PADMANTECH

Hello Good People,

I am setting up some new filers in Cluster-Mode 8.2.1 and trying to set the ports flow control to be none but have found if you don't have a cable plugged in then you can not set this and get and error. Once the link is up it works fine but i want to pre-create the ifgroups and port settings before we plug into the switches.

Here is what i'm getting:

PS H:\> Set-NcNetPort e14a -Node cluster01-01 -FlowControl "none"

Set-NcNetPort : Set media options failed.

At line:1 char:1

+ Set-NcNetPort e14a -Node cluster01-01 -FlowControl "none"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (cluster01-01:NcController) [Set-NcNetPort], EAPIERROR

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Net.SetNcNetPort

I have also tried using the "-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue" action but this does not work either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PADMANTECH

Hi Vihari,

Thanks for getting back to me. You are correct. The Adapters of CNA not 10Gb adapters.

Still wonder why this can not be done on CNA adapter but am grateful for being a step closer.

Many thanks,

Jason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

vihari

Hello,

You can't change the Flow Control setting for a 10g only port. I had the same issue.

Regards,

Vihari

PADMANTECH

Hi Vihari,

I now know what you mean that you cannont set the flow control on a CNA. See article below:

"Flow control should normally be set to none for 10-GbE interfaces except for Converged Network Adapter (CNA) cards, where it cannot be disabled. If you disable flow control on the switch port, flow control is also disabled for devices such as CNAs"

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1368834/html/GUID-31241255-4914-46FF-BDB5-A02DCCEABCCA.html

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Jason

PADMANTECH

Hi Vihari,

Thanks for getting back to me. You are correct. The Adapters of CNA not 10Gb adapters.

Still wonder why this can not be done on CNA adapter but am grateful for being a step closer.

Many thanks,

Jason

Public