Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

File FlexClone on NTFS within SAN lun

vital_bsatu_by

TR-3742(http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3742.pdf) states:

2.6 CREATING A FLEXCLONE INSTANCE OF A FILE IN A SAN ENVIRONMENT

Host-side tool support is needed to integrate the cloned data blocks into the host file system and to present the cloned file to the host file system.

Though TR-3742 is dated 2010 I can't find any trace of real-world implementation of file FlexClone. What I need is the way to clone VHD files on a CSV LUN used in Hyper-V virtualization cluster.

Is file FlexClone really implemented, or does the feature exist only on paper? If it really exists, how can I use it (preferably from a PS script)? If it is a waporware, are there any plans to implement it in the real world?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

winfield

Hi Guys

This is already available to you chaps today, via the powershell commandlets that come with the oncommand for Microsoft environments plugin.

You can view the PowerShell based demonstration here .

Let me know if you need anything else

R

Steve

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

radek_kubka

This is definitely coming as a real thing - I've seen some slides describing this functionality on Hyper-V (not sure whether it depends on SnapDrive, SnapManager for Hyper-V, or both)

Regards,

Radek

vital_bsatu_by

May be you've seen LUN FlexClone example on those slides? - that's not what I'm looking for.

radek_kubka

Nope - it was definitely about sub-LUN cloning.

vital_bsatu_by

Can you remember any time frame of the feature release from the slides? No current software (including PowerShell Toolkit 1.6 released today) support this feature yet.

winfield

Hi Guys

This is already available to you chaps today, via the powershell commandlets that come with the oncommand for Microsoft environments plugin.

You can view the PowerShell based demonstration here .

Let me know if you need anything else

R

Steve

radek_kubka

Thanks for that Steve - you are a star!

vital_bsatu_by

Thank you!

Also I can't get it working yet, that seems to be exactly what I was looking for!

Public