Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Invoke-NaSsh not working anymore with DOT 8.2.5 7-mode

mark_schuren

Hi all,

I upgraded one of our lab systems from ONTAP 8.2.4 to 8.2.5 (7-mode). Since that some of my scripts fail when doing "Invoke-NaSsh" against that system.

No idea why, I already regenerated SSH keys but error persists. It used to work with 8.2.4. And it's definitely not a credential issue.

PS C:\Users\mark> invoke-nassh -Name ucnlabfiler07 -Command date

invoke-nassh : An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ invoke-nassh -Name ucnlabfiler07 -Command date
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [Invoke-NaSsh], SshConnectionException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : SshExecFailed,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Toolkit.Ssh.InvokeNaSsh

Any ideas? Does ONTAP reject the client's key length? How can I make it work again?

Cheers,

Mark

57 REPLIES 57

MartinBoere

@ThomasKr

As in informational it is not needed to install UM 7.3 to get the 8.2.5 to work with WFA 4.2.0.0.1.

Just import the pack into WFA and you will see that WFA is able to communicate to 8.2.5 without any issues. 

SchnellMedia

exactly the same problems here which skellner has

8.2.x and below 7-Mode -> works

8.2.5 7-Mode -> not working

after secureadmin setup -f ssh still the same problems

Nataraja

I think my issue also related to the same source, as the WFA throwing an error when i it is trying to resync vfiler dr as

"An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine".

Source filer

NetApp Release 8.2.4P6 7-Mode: Wed Jan 11 01:07:08 PST 2017

Vfiler dr destinatin filer

NetApp Release 8.2.5 7-Mode: Wed Jul 19 03:55:53 PDT 2017

Is that the solution is to update Powershell tool kit on the WFA server ?

TMADOCTHOMAS

@

MartinBoere

@TMADOCTHOMASThe latest release of PSTK has the ability to run / open connections to a 8.2.5. I have tested this within my lab.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thank you very much! That was my main concern about going to 8.2.5. I'm glad it is finally resolved!

ThomasKr

If i try to install PowerShell Toolkit 4.5P1 it stops with an error telling me to install at least PowerShell 3.0 but 5.1 is standard on Windows 10

How to solve this issue

MartinBoere

I am afraid that this is more related to something on your Windows 10 host than to the package.

I just installed the package on my Windows 10 client it the install finished succesfully.

Is there anything enlisted within the eventvwr?

What is the exact error message?

Can you install it on another host without issues?

regards

ThomasKr

It did install now, i had laying on my Desktop, after moving it to a network share it did install without any issue.

ThomasKr

I did install it locally on my Workstation and on a VM that runs the scripts, still getting the error messages for 8.2.5 7-Mode systems

Invoke-NaSsh : An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

allenetapps_befehl_absetzen.ps1:38 char:1

+ Invoke-NaSsh -Name na91ch6 "disk show -n"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidResult: (:) [Invoke-NaSsh], SshConnectionException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SshExecFailed,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Toolkit.Ssh.InvokeNaSsh

ThomasKr

managed to install it now, but im getting another error this time

Invoke-NaSsh : Requested registry access is not allowed.

TMADOCTHOMAS

@ThomasKr I noticed some others mention that you have to install the latest release of Putty for this to work - is it installed?

ThomasKr

i did install putty, cause if u dont it tells you by an error message to update to 0.70

TMADOCTHOMAS

OK. Hopefully someone will be able to help. Seems like the issue is still at least partly unresolved.

mark_schuren

Hi,

the way Invoke-NaSsh is now implemented (since PSTK 4.5P1), it requires you to

- have a recent version of PuTTY installed

- have permission to PuTTY's hive in the registry

otherwise you'll get the errors mentioned.

So either run your script with elevated priviledge ("run as admin"), or give your user (or the script account) access to this registry hive:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SimonTatham

All application packages: Full Control
Users (of the local machine): Full Control

Works for me. And stolen from here: http://community.netapp.com/t5/Microsoft-Cloud-and-Virtualization-Discussions/NetApp-PowerShell-Toolkit-4-5P1-released/td-p/138566

Smiley Wink

However the workround from skellner is also working fine (see above in this discussion, there is a function which involves Invoke-NaSystemApi instead of ssh).

At least in my environment this is much faster than the new Invoke-NaSsh..

HTH,

Mark

TMADOCTHOMAS

I am about to upgrade several systems from 8.2.4P4 to 8.2.5P1D9 in the coming weeks (or 8.2.5P2 if it comes out first). Before doing so, I would like to verify that installing the PowerShell Toolkit 4.5P1 and Putty 0.70 resolves the issues discussed in this thread. Does that appear to do the trick?

Public