Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Is there a better way query volume total space in powershell?

TONY_UNGER

My boss wanted information about the total capacity of each of our volumes(So including snapshot reserve) along with used space and available. I was going to use get-navol but i noticed this only gives the usable space of the volume not the true total. So i hacked together this script using both get-navol and get-navolsize cmd-let to get what i needed. This is my second script i have ever wrote in PowerShell so i am sure i did a several things wrong but i was able to get the results i wanted. It just seems like it should have been less work and a better way of doing this.

VolumeName,VolumeAvailableSpace,VolumeUsedSpace,VolumeTotalsize

param([string]$paNetAppHost, [string]$pausername)

Import-module DataOnTap

$PathtoCSV = "C:\NetappTotalVolume.csv"

#Connect to filer

Connect-NAController $paNetAppHost–cred $pausername

$allvolumesnames = get-navol | Select-Object Name,Available

#set headers of CSV file

"VolumeName,Available Space(GB),Used Space(GB),Total Volume Space(GB)" > $PathtoCSV

foreach ($netapp_vol in $allvolumesnames) {

$CurrentVolname = $netapp_vol.name

$VolumesAvailable = $netapp_vol.available

$VolumeSizeTotal = get-navolsize -name $CurrentVolname | Select-Object -ExpandProperty VolumeSize

#Convert to GB

$VolumeAvailable1GB = ($VolumesAvailable / 1GB)

$VolumeSizeTotal1GB = ($VolumeSizeTotal / 1GB)

#Calc usedspace

$VolumeUsedSpace1GB = $VolumeSizeTotal1GB - $VolumeAvailable1GB

#Create/add to CSV file

$Combine = $CurrentVolname,$VolumeAvailable1GB,$VolumeUsedSpace1GB,$VolumeSizeTotal1GB

$Combine -join "," >> $PathtoCSV

}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vinith

Hi Tony,

Can you try running this command and check if it serves your purpose? Just Copy Paste the entire snippet below to your powershell console.

Get-NaVol | Select @{Name="VolumeName";Expression={$_.name}},@{Name="TotalSize(GB)";Expression={[math]::Round([decimal]$_.SizeTotal/1gb,2)}}`

,@{Name="AvailableSize(GB)";Expression={[math]::Round([decimal]$_.SizeAvailable/1gb,2)}}`

,@{Name="UsedSize(GB)";Expression={[math]::Round([decimal]$_.SizeUsed/1gb,2)}}`

,@{Name="SnapshotBlocksReserved(GB)";Expression={[math]::Round([decimal]$_.SnapshotBlocksReserved/1gb,2)}}`

,SnapshotPercentReserved

You can also affix an | Export-CSV to this cnippet to export it to a csv file.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

vinith

Hi Tony,

Can you try running this command and check if it serves your purpose? Just Copy Paste the entire snippet below to your powershell console.

Get-NaVol | Select @{Name="VolumeName";Expression={$_.name}},@{Name="TotalSize(GB)";Expression={[math]::Round([decimal]$_.SizeTotal/1gb,2)}}`

,@{Name="AvailableSize(GB)";Expression={[math]::Round([decimal]$_.SizeAvailable/1gb,2)}}`

,@{Name="UsedSize(GB)";Expression={[math]::Round([decimal]$_.SizeUsed/1gb,2)}}`

,@{Name="SnapshotBlocksReserved(GB)";Expression={[math]::Round([decimal]$_.SnapshotBlocksReserved/1gb,2)}}`

,SnapshotPercentReserved

You can also affix an | Export-CSV to this cnippet to export it to a csv file.

TONY_UNGER

It looks like i can take SnapshotPercentReserved and use that to calculate what I was looking for without having to use get-navolsize

Thank you

TONY_UNGER

To get the value i wanted without using get-navolsize i added this to my script

$VolumeSizeTotal = [math]::Round([decimal]((($netapp_vol.snapshotpercentreserved * 100) * $netapp_vol.TotalSize) + $netapp_vol.TotalSize)/1gb,2)

ill have to start using hashtables on my next script

Carol

Is there a way to get the value for Snapshot copies space used?

CASTROJSEC

show-nahelp

When the explorer pops up select the cmdlets at the top of the page.  There are a few commands for getting detailed snapshot information. Get-nasnapshotvolumespace  may be the one you are looking for.

Carol

This gives me the total snapshot space available, I need to get the snapshot space used ?

Public