Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

LUN SpaceReclaim Procedure-Get-NaHostDisk Hangs

markryanwillis

Using latest Powershell Toolkit for NetApp Ontap. Using Windows 2008 Core in a Hyper-V Cluster, Running DOT 7.3.2

When I execute the NaHostDisk command to list the disk that I wish to "punch holes in", the server returns back the following message:

"The requested resource is in use"

I have loaded the Powershell module into the PS dir on this server that IS part of the Windows Hyper-V Cluster. When I unmap the LUN and

run the same command, it returns like normal, but obviously not showing the LUN I wish to punch.

When I map in the LUN from another server that is outside of the Hyper-V cluster, that same command just sits there and hangs (Note, all the other cluster host still see the LUN as well)

Do I need to present this LUN exclusive to the server that I am using? Like remove from Hyper-V cluster and unmap from all the host that are part of the cluster except for the one I execute the PS command from?

Someone that knows Windows Hyper-V and punching holes in LUN's please help!

4 REPLIES 4

vinith

Hi Mark, from where are you running this cmdlet? can you provide some more details

markryanwillis

As I indicated in my original post:

"

I have loaded the Powershell module into the PS dir on this server that IS part of the Windows Hyper-V Cluster. When I unmap the LUN and

run the same command, it returns like normal, but obviously not showing the LUN I wish to punch."

AND

"When I map in the LUN from another server that is outside of the Hyper-V cluster, that same command just sits there and hangs (Note, all the other cluster host still see the LUN as well)"

Thank you.

vinith

I have a clustered Hyper-V set up with a CSV file and a dedicated disk attached to one of the two hosts in the cluster

OCPMHyperv1 has a dedicated disk attached to it so if i run Get-NaHostDisk -DataOntap i get a result of all List all disks on the local Windows host that are served by Data ONTAP LUNs

Now if i run the similar command in OCPMHyperv2 which has only csv attached i get the below output, you can also see that now the dedicated disk attached to ocpmhyperv1 does not show up.

I Guess you need to exclusively present this LUN to the server you are using and it should work.

markryanwillis

Thanks for the information. I really do appreciate you help.

I'm still not having any luck though. I ensured that the server I was on (running pS) had ownership of just one CSV and no others (although the other host in the cluster are still zoneds and mapped to same luns), and still get the following message:

PS C:\Windows\System32> Get-NaHostDisk

Get-NaHostDisk : The requested resource is in use. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700AA)

At line:1 char:15

+ Get-NaHostDisk <<<<

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-NaHostDisk], COMException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Windows.GetHostDisk

I know this works as I'm able to run on CSV's that I have completely unmapped from everything but the server I run the PS from. I'm just thinking in a production environment where I am trying to reclaim storage, I am not going to be able to do that process.

Ever see that error message before?

Public