Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Mounting flexclone of SMVI snapshot into vcenter

ROBHOLLOMAN

I am working on automating our test environment refresh, which spins up a flexclone from a SMVI backup, then mounts the NFS volume into VMware vCenter.  Once mounted I will use PowerCLI to register the .vmx files and modify the VM's.  The NFS volumes are spread over two controllers, thus requiring the -Controller property to be called in New-NaVolClone and Add-NaNfsExport, which is forcing me to wrap the entire script in my Foreach controller loop.

Here's my the first part of my script that I'm having problems with:

$Snapshot = @()

$FlexClone = @()

#Create Object that connects to both FAS controllers

[object[]]$CDCFAS=$null

Foreach ($FAS in @("CDCFAS01", "CDCFAS02")) {

$NewFAS=Connect-nacontroller $FAS

$CDCFAS=$CDCFAS+$NewFAS

}

#Gets weekley snapshot names of vmds_nfs volumes and creates flexclones from those volumes

Foreach ($ProdFAS in $CDCFAS) {

$NFSVol = Get-NaVol -Controller $ProdFAS | where { $_.Name -like 'vmds_nfs_*'}

$Snapshot += Foreach ($Vol in $NFSVol) {

Get-NaSnapshot -TargetName $Vol.Name -Controller $ProdFAS | where { $_.Name -notlike 'ATLFAS*' } | Sort-Object -Descending -Property Created | select -First 1

}

Foreach ($Snap in $Snapshot) {

$NewClone = $ProdFAS.Name+'_'+($Snap.Created.ToShortDateString()).Replace("/","_")+'_'+$Snap.TargetName

New-NaVolClone -ParentVolume $Snap.TargetName -ParentSnapshot $Snap.Name -CloneVolume $NewClone -Controller $ProdFAS

Add-NaNfsExport -Persistent -Path /$NewClone -ActualPath /vol/$NewClone -ReadOnly $esxtststorage -Controller $ProdFAS

$NFSObject = New-Object System.Object

$NFSObject | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name DatastoreName -Value $NewClone

$NFSObject | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Volume -Value $NewClone

$NFSObject | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name NFSPath -Value /$NewClone

$NFSObject | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name NFSHost -Value ($ProdFAS.ToString()+"d")

$NFSObject | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Controller -Value $ProdFAS

$FlexClone += $NFSObject

}

}

The problem is that while my $Snapshot variable is populating with the 4 correct current snapshots, my Foreach-Object ($Snap ...) loop is populating my $Flexclone array with 6 objects.  I've listed the results of $Snapshot and $Flexclone below and highlighted the additional 2 objects that should not be there (Dark blue).  *Note:  If the volume name is like nfs_01, then the controller should be CDCFAS01.  Nfs02 = CDCFAS02.

PS C:\> $Snapshot | select Name,Created

Name                                                                                    Created

----                                                                                    -------

2012-07-11_0200-0400_weekly_VMware_nfs_01_1_CDCFAS01_vmds_nfs_01_1_                     7/11/2012 6:08:23 AM

2012-07-12_0400-0400_weekly_VMware_nfs_01_3_CDCFAS01_vmds_nfs_01_3_                     7/12/2012 8:05:52 AM

2012-07-12_0200-0400_weekly_VMware_nfs_02_1_CDCFAS02_vmds_nfs_02_1_                     7/12/2012 6:05:49 AM

2012-07-11_0400-0400_weekly_VMware_nfs_02_2_CDCFAS02_vmds_nfs_02_2_                     7/11/2012 8:04:02 AM

PS C:\> $FlexClone

DatastoreName : CDCFAS01_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_01_1

Volume        : CDCFAS01_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_01_1

NFSPath       : /CDCFAS01_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_01_1

NFSHost       : CDCFAS01d

Controller    : CDCFAS01

DatastoreName : CDCFAS01_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_01_3

Volume        : CDCFAS01_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_01_3

NFSPath       : /CDCFAS01_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_01_3

NFSHost       : CDCFAS01d

Controller    : CDCFAS01

DatastoreName : CDCFAS02_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_01_1

Volume        : CDCFAS02_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_01_1

NFSPath       : /CDCFAS02_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_01_1

NFSHost       : CDCFAS02d

Controller    : CDCFAS02

DatastoreName : CDCFAS02_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_01_3

Volume        : CDCFAS02_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_01_3

NFSPath       : /CDCFAS02_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_01_3

DatastoreName : CDCFAS02_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_02_1

Volume        : CDCFAS02_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_02_1

NFSPath       : /CDCFAS02_7_12_2012_vmds_nfs_02_1

DatastoreName : CDCFAS02_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_02_2

Volume        : CDCFAS02_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_02_2

NFSPath       : /CDCFAS02_7_11_2012_vmds_nfs_02_2

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ROBHOLLOMAN

My problem was a code problem.  I wasn't clearing my $Snapshot array variable in each loop, I was adding each result to the array.

Incorrect Code -->  $Snapshot += Foreach

Get-NaSnapshot -TargetName $Vol.Name -Controller $ProdFAS | where { $_.Name -notlike 'ATLFAS*' } | Sort-Object -Descending -Property Created | select -First 1

}

Correct Code --> $Snapshot = Foreach

$Snapshot = Foreach ($Vol in $NFSVol) {

}

Thanks,

Robbie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NEILLEVIEN

Do you have any VMs that span filers and/or datastores?

Check your weekly job in SMVI and check the "Spanning" tab.

ROBHOLLOMAN

My problem was a code problem.  I wasn't clearing my $Snapshot array variable in each loop, I was adding each result to the array.

Incorrect Code -->  $Snapshot += Foreach

}

Correct Code --> $Snapshot = Foreach

$Snapshot = Foreach ($Vol in $NFSVol) {

}

Thanks,

Robbie

richewalt

Nice script. Did you also write a script to reverse everything after the test is complete?

Public