Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

NetApp + Microsoft Cluster + SQL Cluster - HowTO

PLASTIQUE

Hello everyone

My Colleague is on hospital right now and he´s the best one handling the NetApp here. He won’t be back for 8 weeks so I have to get a new 2-node Active/Passive SQL Cluster up and running on my own..

What I have is Windows 2008 Server ENT, SQL Server 2008 R2 STD. And VMware ESX 4 with vSphere Virtual Center. And ofc  the NetApp Filers. I have today a big VMware environment up and running with some 400 VM´s on the NetApp, but no Windows Clusters.
I would like to have some guidance where it comes to installation order of all components and some on configuration of those:

Microsoft Cluster Services
MPIO
iSCSI initiator ( well it´s on the control panel )
NetApp Host Configuration Utility
NetApp SnapManager
NetApp SnapManager for SQL
Microsoft SQL Server

And where and from what I create and bind the LUN:s, resources in the right order for the cluster services.

I haven’t found any real help on the internet for this scenario, and since my colleague is on hospital, everything has to happen right now, a thousand things to do..

The only thing I found that I have been thinking about is this scenario: https://communities.netapp.com/community/netapp-blogs/msenviro/blog/2011/02/18/install-order-for-hyper-v-clusters But i Don’t know if I need to have MPIO, Host Configuration Utility and so on.

Can you help me with some guidance please

21 REPLIES 21

PLASTIQUE

The cluster is finaly up and running.

I have a question, how should I setup backup for LUN´s containing Quorum and MS DTC, should those be backed up ? And how could it be restored into the cluster without failures. I have one LUN for Quorum and one for MS DTC.

Public